Following their sparkling performance at Spelthorne on Saturday, Ashford make the short trip to Knaphill on Tuesday, to contest the 2nd Round of the Surrey Senior Cup.  Please be aware that the match will kick off at 7.30 p.m.

Knaphill are another club to have risen from junior football in recent seasons and have now firmly established themselves as a CCL Premier Division club.  This season they are currently in 11th place in the table but have also reached the 3rd Round of the FA Vase in which they will be away to Canterbury City on 12 December.  As with all the CCL clubs left in the competition we wish them every success in that one.

Usually the County Cup is pre-drawn, so that we would have an idea of whom the winners on Tuesday will be playing but that is not the case this season., with the next round still to be released.  To get to this point, Ashford defeated Beckenham Town whilst Knaphill saw off the challenge of Camberley Town.

The address of the ground is Brookwood Country Park Football Ground, Redding Way, Lower Guildford Road, Knaphill, GU21 2AY

Most of the junior sides managed to get their matches in on Sunday and here are the results:

Bill U7s 2-6 Woking

Tommy U7s 9-2 Bedfont Eagles

Andy U8s 3-7 Whitton Wanderers

Matt U9s 3-5 Twickenham Tigers

Graham U10s 7-0 Molesey

Larry U12s 0-0 Wadden Wanderers

Craig U13s 3-5 Whitton Wanderers

Fin U13s 8-3 SCR Colts

Martin U14s 4-1 SCR Colts

Ben U15s 3-0 Met Police

Conor U15s 2-1 Binfield

Carl U17s 2-3 Fleet Town 


On a cold blustery day and against their local rivals who had been in top form recently, Ashford had genuinely expected a far harder challenge than they received at Spelthorne Sports on Saturday.  As it was, Ashford rather took the match over especially in the second half when the wind was more in their favour and won comfortably by 3 goals to nil.

There wasn’t too much in it in the first half but it was not an injustice when the in-form Jack Beadle, benefitting from the home side’s failure to defend a short corner properly, sent in a trade mark low effort to give Ashford the lead.

After that Spelthorne rarely looked as if they would trouble the scorers but when they did sling in one or two high crosses, always dangerous in the swirling wind, keeper Tobin was on top form, impressing with his crisp handling under pressure.

The second half opened with the busy Bradley Wainwright, a nuisance all afternoon, creating an almost unmissable chance for the returning Mark Bitmead.  Sadly on this occasion Ashford’s best striker screwed his effort over the top with the goal at his mercy.  It didn’t matter too much though as it quickly became the Russell Canderton show, Ashford’s popular skipper scoring twice within ten minutes, the second being a delicate touch past Dane Buss in the home goal.  One has to go back almost ten years, to 17 December 2005 for Canderton’s  last brace, scored in a 5-1 home victory over Taunton Town.  Since joining Ashford 14 years ago from Staines Town, Russell is closing in on his 600th appearance for the club.   He should make it before the end of the season and it was fitting that he was named “Ashford Man of the Match” by the Ashford supporters.

There might have been one or two more goals as the gaps appeared, with Spelthorne chasing the game but in the end 3-0 was a satisfying win over opponents who have shown their ability on better days to beat anyone in the League.

It was just as well with all the top teams recording victories, so it’s “as you were” at the top end of the table.  Next up is a trip to Knaphill on Tuesday evening in the 2nd Round of the Surrey Senior Cup.  Please note that the kick-off is at 7.30 p.m.

Finally the Ladies’ match today has been cancelled as their opponents, Bedhead FC, have apparently withdrawn from the League.

Ashford are away again on Saturday but it’s only a short trip to Spelthorne Sports, who have now firmly established themselves as a Premier Division club in the CCL.  That status looked threatened earlier in the season but following a change of management, Spelthorne have climbed the table with some rapidity and their determination was amply shown in their Middlesex Senior Cup tie on Tuesday evening against Wembley when, after finding themselves three nil down at half-time, they stormed back to score five in the second half.

Ashford, therefore, will be under no illusion that they face a difficult match but more recently the team has showed that it does not need perfect conditions upon which to achieve results and the slog at Farnham last Saturday will doubtless stand us in good stead, as it will be a heavy pitch again this afternoon, although it did not seem to have cut up too much after the game against Wembley.

The next match is also away, on Tuesday evening, when Ashford make the trip to Knaphill FC in the Surrey Senior Cup.  Please note that kick-off time at Knahill will be 7.30 p.m.

The Sunday side are away to Whitton Park Rangers tomorrow, at Richmond College whilst the Ladies will look forward to entertaining Bedhead Ladies FC on Sunday afternoon at Short Lane at 2.00 p.m.

Here is Nick Bailey's report from last night's Under-18 match in the CCL Grant-McLellan Youth Cup which Ashford won 8-0.

Ashford 18s enjoyed their second win in two days with an impressive 8-0 win away against Windsor in the Grant-Mclellan Cup.

There were four goals in the first half scored by Mason Roseboom, Keegan Stewart, Harry Herdman and Jacob Bennett.

Ashford moved the ball well and in the second half kept our shape and discipline, Isaac Mplane got on the score sheet with two well taken goals as did Aaron Lovett with one from the spot and one from a well worked move starting from the back.

Our backline of Gabriel Bedeko, Ilia Perovic, Tommy Fright and Kasey Williams were rarely tested and handled anything that Windsor chucked at us. The midfield three of Charlie Bailey, Mason Roseboom and Harry Herdman controlled the tempo and direction of the match enjoying the lion's share of possession and at times keeping it simple and linking up play superbly.

The forward attacking three of Jacob Bennett, Keegan Stewart and Isaac Mplane all got on the score sheet and caused Windsor constant pressure all game.

Sub Aaron Lovett got on the score sheet within 5 minutes of entering the field with a well taken penalty and got his second with 10 minutes remaining. Josh Bates came on with 15 to go and replaced Gabes at the back to help maintain our clean sheet.

Man of the match in such an open game isn’t an easy decision but we decided to award it to Charlie Bailey for his outstanding work in the centre of the park.

The Under-18 side have enjoyed a good week.  Following their hard fought win against Carshalton on Monday, they made it a double success on Wednesday with a second cup victory, this time in the Grant-McLellan Youth Cup, beating Windsor U18 by eight goals to nil.  This means that Ashford are now in the Quarter-Finals and we await the draw.  We will doubtless have a report from Manager Nick Bailey in due course.

Here are the Junior and other fixtures for the forthcoming weekend.

Ashford Sports Club - Club House 11-a-side Pitch

Conor U15s v Binfield 10am

Martin U14s v SCR Colts 11.30

Ashford Sports Club – Short Lane 11-a-side Pitch

Ben U15s v Met Police 10am

Carl U17s v Staines Albion 11.30

Ashford Sports Club – 9 – 9 Pitch

Larry U12s v Waddon Wanderers 11am

Ashford Town 5 – 5 Pitch

Matt U8s v Sheen Lions 10.30

Ashford Town 7 – 7 Pitch

No Fixture 

Ashford Town – Outfield

Marco U15s v Yateley United 10.30 

Ashford Town Stadium

Ladies v Bedhead 2pm 

Away Games

Billy U7s v Woking Cougars

Tommy U7s v Bedfont Eagles

Andy U8s v Whitton Wonderers

Matt U9s v Twickenham Tigers

Graham U10s v Molesey Juniors

Nelson U10s v Kew Association

Craig U13s v Whitton Wanderers

Fin U13s v SCR Colts

Joe U17s v Guildford City


Gary Men v Whitton Park


We now have the match report from Monday’s match against Carshalton, from Nick:

“It was a great night for our young Tangerines on Monday after knocking Carshalton Athletic out of the Lucas Fettes cup by 4 goals to 2.

We started sharply as we normally do and looked very dangerous going forward.  Our pace was causing our visitors problems and they couldn't deal with our midfield press.

We finished the first half 2-1 up with goals coming from Isaac Mplane and Keegan Stewart, Carshalton showed at times what a good side they are but we deserved the lead and in fairness it could have been more, Isaac in particular being  a thorn in Carshalton’s side and they couldn't deal with the tempo that we set.

We were under pressure in the second half and the most impressive thing for me was the way we absorbed all the pressure that our visitors gave us, knwoing that they would react.  In short we handled everything they could throw at us. When we were able to get forward we continued to look dangerous  and it wasn't long before we scored again, this time a wonderful ball from Otman found our prolific goal scorer Isaac and once again he made no mistake in putting us 3-1 up.

5 minutes later Isaac found the back of the net again to make it 4-1, and our visitors were finally beaten even if they did find a stoppage time consolation goal to end the game 4-2.

Overall it was a very good display from our youngsters considering that two of our centre backs pulled out at the last minute so we had to juggle the pack at the back.  Kasey Williams was superb switching from right back to left, Isaac was his clinical self in front of goal and our midfield work rate was top draw, brilliant team performance and a well deserved win from what is mostly a first year side.”



Here are the results from the Sunday Junior matches, followed by a summary from Junior Section Chairman Nick Bailey:

Graham U10s 1-1 Kingston Town

Craig U13s 0-8 Mitcham Park

Fin U13s 6-0 Shelton

Martin U14s 6-2 Hampton Youth

Ben U15s 5-5 Mat Police

Conor U15s 4-1 Leatherhead

Marco U15s 4-3 Claygate

Tim U16s 0-4 Corinthian Casuals

Carl U17s 3-1 Lyne Youth

Joe U17s 4-8 Kew Park Rangers 

On a freezing Sunday morning we hosted an under 8s mini trophy event at the club.  Matt our U-8s manager did superbly against strong competition and some of the football on display was a pleasure to watch.

On our other mini pitch Tommy’s under 7s entertained local side Halliford Colts, and even if we were on the losing side, it’s really pleasing to see our young Tangerines improving week on week.

Bills U-7s played Old Isleworthians in what’s proving to be a good match every time they play each other, the visitors are always strong and well organised side, the football was a pleasure to watch as both sides expressed their ability and gave the parents and coaches a real good game to watch.

Across the road I saw Tim’s U-16s play Corinthian Casuals and we ended up on the wrong side of a 4-0 loss, we must have hit the post and bar 5 times, a good game and with a little luck on our side the score line would have been a different one.

Conor's 15s made the trip to Leatherhead and came away with the 3 points after winning 4-1, the lads are making great progress in the league and are quietly moving up the table, and of course they are still in the County Cup so this could turn out to be a good season for them.

Bens 15s played Met Police in probably the game of the day, I didn’t watch this as it was away but had running updates from parents.  We found ourselves 4 down inside half hour and quickly turned things around to level it at 4-4.  Knowing the lads as I do and with 5 minutes remaining I knew we would take the lead and sure enough we did, but unfortunately the goals didn’t stop there, a dubious penalty from what appeared a clear dive inside the box gave Met Police a chance to equalise which they did and the match finished 5-5. This ensures that the team remains unbeaten and still top of the table. 

The Under-18’s enjoyed their best victory of the season on Monday evening with a 4-2 win over highly fancied Carshalton Athletic, who had beaten Sutton United in the previous round of this competition, the Lucas-Fettes League Cup.  A hatrick from Isaac Mpiana and one from Keegan Stewart enabled Ashford to go 4-1 up, after soaking up a lot of pressure, with Carshalton scoring a consolation goal at the death.  We await the full match report.



From Gareth

With Christmas coming up I thought it was a good time to highlight that the club has a partnership with Easyfundraising that enables you to raise money for the club while you shop online.  It doesn't cost anything and takes only a moment or two to set up.  Together, we can turn Black Friday into Give Back Friday! 

This Friday (27th November) shops across the UK will be holding the biggest sales of the year, meaning it's the perfect time to grab gifts and take advantage of bargains across the board. 

Don't forget you can collect free donations for Ashford Town (Middlesex) FC every time you shop online thanks to

There are nearly 3,000 shops on board, ready to make a free donation to us - it doesn't cost you a penny extra. 

It's really simple, all you have to do is:

1. Join - Head to and sign up for free.
2. Shop - Every time you shop online, go to easyfundraising first, pick the retailer you want and start shopping.
3. Raise - After you've checked out, that retailer will make a donation to Ashford Town (Middlesex) FC for no extra cost whatsoever!

Thank you for your support this Give Back Friday.

In addition to this evening’s Under-18 match at home to Carshalton Athletic U18, the ground will also be in use on Wednesday evening as Middlesex Schools will be playing against Buckingham Schools, at Under-14 level.  The match is in the GE Knowles Trophy and will kick off at 7.00 p.m.

Also, on Saturday, with both Ashford and BA playing away, Middlesex Schools U16’s will be playing against Suffolk Schools U16’s at Short Lane, in the English Schools’ FA Inter-County Trophy , kick-off 12.00 midday.

You can follow Ashford on Facebook - Ashford Town (Middlesex) Supporters and on Twitter - @ashfordtownmx

Ashford continued their recent good form at Farnham Town on Saturday, winning by two goals to one, although in terms of overall possession a greater margin of victory should have been achieved, especially as Farnham finally became a threat towards the end of the match, with Ashford’s goal enjoying a charmed life once or twice.

That said, Ashford deserved all three points from their first half display alone.  The pitch was heavy and not quite as conducive to the passing game that Ashford like to play but nevertheless the visitors were generally well on top.  Credit goes to Farnham for their defending, although sadly the Tangerines were largely unable to turn their dominance into goals.

They had only one goal to show for their efforts in that first period, a thumping header from Scott Weight giving the impressive home keeper no chance and that was cancelled out on the stroke of half-time by Farnham’s Cardona who levelled the scores, also with his head.

Farnham were never out of the game but it was Ashford who scored what turned out to be the winner on 65 minutes with a very simple goal.  A pin point clearance from keeper Tobin found Jack Beadle on the left flank.  He turned inside and beat his man with ease before firing a low shot into the corner of the net.  Bradley Wainwright missed what looked a superb opportunity to put the game out of reach when he shot straight at the keeper and with Farnham resorting to long ball tactics, Ashford certainly had to survive one or two scares as mentioned.

Overall though, Ashford have never found winning at Farnham to be easy even back in the 90's and this was an excellent three points with players generally sticking to the game plan.  With fire power on the bench in the shape of Mark Bitmead and Dan Fleming, it was a little surprising to supporters  (and thanks to the 20 plus who made their way to Farnham, one or two via the Farnham Secretary’s house as her post code had inadvertently put on the preview for the match on the Ashford web site) that neither were used until stoppage time but doubtless there was a good reason, the main thing being that, as a squad, we won the match.

Referee Farrer, well remembered in Ashford circles, for his failure to add on sufficient time in the match at Spelthorne last season, did not add much on this time it seemed, given the stoppages, but with Ashford ahead it worked in their favour.  Both Joe Green and a Farnham player can count themselves fortunate not to have seen red for two rather unpleasant tackles in the second half but overall the match was fairly contested.

There is no midweek match for the 1st Team this week but to compensate, the Under-18’s have two games.  Tomorrow evening, Monday they are at home to Carshalton Athletic U18 in the 2nd Round of the Lucas-Fettes (League) Cup, kick-off 7.45 p.m.  Carshalton overcame Sutton United in the previous round, albeit on penalties and are top of the Central Division of the League, so it will undoubtedly be a tough match.

On Wednesday evening, the side will be away to Windsor U18 in the 2nd Round of the CCL Grant-McLellan Youth Cup, also kicking off at 7.45 p.m.

The next 1st Team match is away to Spelthorne Sports next Saturday.

Ashford travel to Farnham Town on Saturday, mindful of the late season defeat there towards the end of last season.  Apart from long term injury sufferers Lewis Taylor and Joey Robson, manager Ben Murray should have a more or less full strength squad from which to pick.

Farnham lost 0-5 at Camberley last time out but previously won by a solitary goal at Redhill and Ashford are aware that they can be difficult opponents.  They currently sit in 14th place in the table, just below midway but  with both Camberley and Hartley Wintney engaged in the FA Vase (and good luck to all the CCL sides taking part) it is an opportunity for Ashford to keep up the pressure on the other teams at the top end of the table.

The address of the ground is:  The Memorial Ground, West Street, Farnham, GU9 8RD.  There is a car park at the ground but it is small so you need to be early to park in it.  More traditionally parking has been on the opposite side of the ground at the Memorial Hall itself, but “no parking” signs have been erected in recent times even though there is ample space, so it is at your own risk.

In the meantime the Under-18’s disappointed on Wednesday evening, in throwing away an eminently winnable match at home to Cockfosters in the Middlesex Senior Youth competition, losing 1-2, in a game largely dominated by the Tangerines especially in the second half, but let down by some awful finishing, exemplified by just about the last kick of the match which saw an Ashford player blaze over the bar with the goal at his mercy.  Here is manager Nick Bailey’s report:

On a cold and windy night at the RPS Ashford entertained Cockfosters in the Middx Senior Youth Cup.

Cockfosters started on the front foot and dominated the match for the first 15 minutes going close on a couple of occasions, we made a change to the system and looked more comfortable and got ourselves back into the game and opened the scoresheet against the run of play, a free kick to the left of Cockfosters area gave Tommy Fright the perfect opportunity to open the account and he did with a fantastic goal 1-0 Ashford.

The killer blow came in the final seconds of the first half, this time Cockfosters scored from a corner, our Keeper Nick Bennett got hands to the oncoming shot but could only deflect the goal into our own net 1-1 Half time.

The second half started and this time we were playing with the wind behind us, we looked the brighter and more dangerous side, pressing and creating opportunities, this is where we should have killed the game, we probably had 75% possession and 20 decent opportunities to score – instead we blasted high and wide on every occasion.

The match finished 1-1 and extra time was looming, we were the more confident side, we looked fitter and stronger and there was only one team in it, we again started the brighter with plenty of opportunities to score but again couldn’t take them, as we approached the closing stages of the match Cockfosters had an opportunity, the ball was slid into their striker which left our keeper with a decision to make – should he come or stay, the wind was a factor in his decision and he got caught in the wrong area and they scored.

The match finished 1-2 to Cockfosters, this shows you that all the dominance and possession in the world don’t always win you matches, you have to do the basics and score more than your opposition, for some reason we are normally very clinical in front of goal but on this evening we couldn’t score a simple tap in.

We wish Cockfosters the best of luck in the next round, well done and good luck. 

Our other teams are playing this weekend as below:

Ashford Sports Club - Club House 11-a-side Pitch

Tim U16s v Corinthian Casuals 12pm  

Joe U17s v Kew Park Rangers 1.30

Ashford Sports Club – Short Lane 11-a-side Pitch

Fin U13s v Shelton 10am

Martin U14s v Hampton Youth 11.30

Ashford Sports Club – 9 – 9 Pitch

Larry U12s v Kingstonian 11am 

Ashford Town – Outfield

Marco U15s v Claygate 12.30 (Cup)

Ashford Town 5 – 5 Pitch

Matt U8s v 4 TEAM TROPHY EVENT 10am start

Ashford Town 5 – 5 Pitch

Tommy U7s v Halliford Colts 10am

Billy U7s v Old Isworthians 11.15am

Ashford Town 7 - 7 Pitch 

Graham U10s v Kingston Town 1pm

Away Games

Andy U8s v Trophy Event

Matt U9s v Twickenham Tigers

Nelson U10s v CB Hounslow

Craig U13s v Mitcham Park

Ben U15s v Met Police

Conor U15s v Leatherhead

Carl U17s v Lyne Youth

The Ladies are without a match this weekend whilst the Sunday side are at home to Swinbrook FC (10.30 a.m.)

Our partners British Airways are at home on Saturday to Hillingdon FC, in an important 4th v 3rd battle in the Premier Division of the Middlesex County League.

There will be more on next week’s games in due course but the long delayed Grant-McLellan Youth Cup match away to Windsor U18 has now been arranged for next Wednesday, subject to Windsor not having an FA Vase replay.

Finally another big well done to Ashley Cheatley, prolific scorer for Ashford Ladies, who scored her first ever goal for the County on Wednesday evening against the Army Ladies, in a 2-1 victory.



On a wild evening punctuated by gale force wind blasts and heavy rain earlier in the day, it is fitting that this summary should firstly acknowledge the efforts of Steve Honey and Liam Balmer in not only ensuring the pitch was fit for play, but also having it in tip-top condition, which was surely appreciated by the players.

Considering the conditions, both sides conspired to put on an entertaining match overall, with Ashford twice having to come from behind to secure their place in the quarter-final of the Middlesex Senior Cup, the draw for which has yet to be released.

Ben Murray tinkered with his squad but the big news was that striker Mark Bitmead was finally able to start a match after his long injury lay-off and whatever criticism may be laid at him from time to time, he is without doubt a top goal scorer at this level, and duly obliged with two of Ashford’s three goals in this match.  With partner Dan Fleming also back and coming on for ten minutes at the end, plus Bradley Wainwright, who has  found his goal scoring boots, Ashford once again look formidable up top, even though, it has to be said, that others have also certainly risen to the occasion in recent weeks.

Nevertheless, it was the visitors who scored first.  Playing with the wind behind them, it was inevitable that they would do much of the pressing and the goal came as early as the 9th minute.  An uncharacteristic error by Alex Fisher conceded possession and the dangerous Sam Saydee for AFC Hayes made no mistake.

Given the conditions, Ashford supporters were generally pleased that no further goals were conceded in the first half and an onslaught was anticipated in the second period.  Ashford duly obliged, enjoying far greater possession, although it must be said that the visitors still posed a threat at times.  The equaliser arrived bang on the hour mark and there was a sense of inevitability as Bitmead marked his return with the goal.

Not too many would have bet against Ashford at that stage but AFC Hayes can be a resilient bunch and had the nerve to go ahead again ten minutes later, following an error by Will Boye.  It took three attempts for the ball to go in, with Tyler Tobin producing miracles to keep it out initially. The scorer was Bradley Hand.

Referee Banten annoyed the away support soon afterwards by cautioning the visiting keeper for time wasting, which certainly looked harsh as he genuinely seemed unable to keep the ball still in the ever growing wind but worse was to come as Hand found himself dismissed after seeming to bend his head in Tobin’s direction after a skirmish for the ball.  It was some distance away from the writer but if he did attempt a head butt, albeit a pseudo one, the player could not really complain although in the cold light of day Tobin may consider himself fortunate to escape with no sanction at all after his retaliation.

With sic minutes on the clock, it was Max Webb, later voted by supporters as "Ashford Man of the Match" who found the equaliser and Ashford then duly won the match with another fine finish from Bitmead who showed superb confidence in front of goal, a dummy leaving his immediate opponent stranded, before the ball was lashed into the net to leave Ashford with a 3-2 win and a place in the Quarter Finals.

With one or two notable sides already out, such as Hendon and Wealdstone, the other clubs still in the competition are Northwood, Harrow Borough, Staines Town (who beat a Barnet X1 4-1aet  last night), Spelthorne or Wembley, Hanwell or Uxbridge, North Greenford or Uxbridge and Hayes & Yeading or Hampton.  Given a choice, a home match against neighbours Staines would doubtless be the option favoured by most but we will have to wait and see.

With the pitch hardly looking as if it had been played on last night, there is little doubt that this evenings Middlesex Senior Youth Cup match at home to Cockfosters U18 will go ahead as planned, kick-off 7.45.  The winners will be at home to Conquest U18 or Hayes & Yeading U18.

The 1st Team are due to travel to Farnham Town on Saturday and there will be more on that later in the week.

Finally another big well done goes to two of the Ladies side, Ashley Cheatley and Lavana Neufville, both of whom have retained their place in the Middlesex County squad for their rep match against the Army this evening at Uxbridge FC.  We wish them the best of luck.

You can follow Ashford on Facebook - Ashford Town (Middlesex) Supporters and on Twitter - @ashfordtownmx

It looks as if it will be a windy evening but Ashford look forward to the visit of AFC Hayes for the second time this season on Tuesday evening in the 2nd Round of the Middlesex Senior Cup, kick-off 7.45 p.m.   Some suspicion has been voiced, not least by our opponents, concerning the draw which has resulted in all the Step 5 sides playing each other, but we are re-assured that, apart from exempting Step 4 and above clubs from the 1st Round, it was sheer co-incidence.  We have no reason to disbelieve that but it would be a good idea possibly for Middlesex to follow Surrey in broadcasting the Senior Cup draw live on local radio, or possibly hold an open draw at one or other of the clubs.

Ashford will be buoyed by the exciting performance on Saturday against a Redhill side under new management whilst our opponents, also under new management, fought back at Chertsey on Saturday to claim a point after being two down.  They left it late though, with Sam Saydee’s equaliser not arriving until stoppage time.

We have received some news from our Junior sides from Sunday’s matches and they are reproduced below, including a summary from Junior Chairman, Nick Bailey.  Firstly though, here are Sunday’s results:


Billy U7s 4-3 Corinthian

Andy U8s 6-3 Hampton

Matt U9s 1-6 Walton

Graham U10s 3-4 Walton

Nelson U10s 1-2 Hanworth

Larry U13s 3-2 FC Sunbury

Fin U13s 4-11 Carshalton

Conor U15s 5-2 Kingstonian

Ben U15s 3-1 CB Hounslow

Tim U16s 1-2 Doverhouse

Carl U17s 2-11 Claygate

Joe U17s 2-4 after AET

Summary from the Junior Chairman (Nick Bailey)

Yesterday Larry’s U13s played at home in the game of the weekend against our very own Russell Candertons FC Sunbury side.  The game had a great feel to it with plenty of support for obvious reasons, it was strange to see Russell, our captain, leader figure of the club for so many years wanting an Ashford side to come second best – thankfully Larry and his lads had other ideas.

Ashford started the brighter against the very strong wind and managed to gain a one goal advantage during the first half.  We extended our lead and quickly got another to make it 3-0 but the game wasn't finished there.

FC Sunbury got one back from a penalty and then they started to play football and control the tempo for a while and scored another to make it 3-2 with minutes remaining.  FC Sunbury scored the equalising goal with the final kick of the match but it was ruled offside by their own linesman – fair play, many would have thought about keeping the flag close to the ground but the decision was correct and Larry and his lads came away with the three points, great game played with a great spirit. Well done all, unlucky Russ .

Other matches that need a mention:

Nelsons U10s, again this match was played with fantastic support from both sides, the game finished 2-1 to Hanworth but it could have gone either way, brilliant match with some excellent football played by both teams.

Bens U15s secured a 3-1 win against CB Hounslow away in what could be a huge victory for our title topping side, great win that secures our place at the top of the league with a four point advantage.

Andy’s U8s have found their feet and are now looking like the real deal with a 6-3 win away to Hampton Rangers.

Billy’s U7s again won 4-3 win against Corinthian, next week they play the impressive Old Isleworthians kick off 11.15.

Next week we have a busy weekend with plenty of our side playing at home including a trophy event for our under 8s.

Report from the Under-10’s (Graham)

Ashford 3 – Walton Casuals 4

Another tight game, with Ashford coming out on the wrong end of 7 Goal thriller 2nd time in 3 weeks!!   After an  excellent start to match with the boys playing some pacey attacking & passing football racing into 3-1 lead, with goals from Lewis (2) &  Freddie's corner going in off a deflection certainly set for an impressive 1st half display, before turning around at HT ( 3-2) and then having to play into the strong Wind!!  wow what a change that caused and a challenge for the boys, which they responded to well for the 1st part of 2nd half again creating chances and a couple of fine saves from Walton GK keeping the score down and stopping Lewis from a Hat-trick, before the constant pressure from Walton paid off with them getting the 3rd of the game, then conditions certainly aided the move that lead to winning goal, a long ball down the middle wind assisted catching out the Ashford defence leaving Walton's striker one on one against 2nd half GK Jack and tried to make his mark racing off his line and attempt to clear unfortunately the Walton striker got there 1st and was sent tumbling in the box with the same lad dusting himself off and slotted a fine Penalty into bottom Corner, leaving Ashford trailing for the 1st time in the match and time running out unfortunately for the boys they couldn't find an equaliser that there early play deserved.

A very entertaining game and little between the two sides and extremely pleasing to see that both wanted to play with quick passing football. Well done to both teams and Congratulations to Walton for coming out on top at the end of the 1st Trophy event of the Season.


Yet another win for the Ladies’ side as they made progress in the Capital County Cup, with a 3-1 victory at Abbey Rangers Ladies and they now find themselves in the last eight of the competition in which they will play at home to either Greenhouse Sports Ladies or Towe Hamlets Reserve Ladies, nominally on Sunday 21 February.

Sunday Side

Did not play

You can follow Ashford on Facebook - Ashford Town (Middlesex) Supporters and on Twitter - @ashfordtownmx

Ashford played Redhill at Short Lane on Saturday for the first time in 15 years and used the occasion to put on one of their best displays of the season, winning by four goals to one.

The first talking point of the afternoon for Ashford supporters was the bench, which contained not only Mark Bitmead and Dan Fleming, both easing their way back into contention after injury, but also Max Webb, Scott Elgar and Samad Kazi.  It may well be that the majority of those mentioned will start on Tuesday against AFC Hayes in the Middlesex Senior Cup.

Back to Saturday  and both teams set about playing some attractive football but ti was Ashford who broke the deadlock on 26 minutes courtesy of Scott Weight, whose snap shot was certainly worthy of a goal.  It was his first goal since his brace against Egham in April 2014.

The goal gave Ashford additional momentum and just five minutes later an equally impressive shot from Bradley Wainwright doubled the lead.

Redhill had produced moments of their own but on a greasy surface, Ashford keeper Tyler Tobin was exceptionally sure in his handling.  He could do nothing about the penalty though awarded for shirt pulling on 37 minutes scored competently by Redhill’s McArdle, which gave the visitors hope.

The match was effectively over though just 41 seconds into the second half when Jack Beadle picked the ball up on the left flank, cut inside and launched another fine effort into the top corner to restore the two goal cushion.  Soon afterwards Alex Fisher completed the scoring with a snap effort following some excellent inter-play.

Redhill certainly never gave up, but with skipper Russell Canderton and Will Boye forming a solid central defensive partnership, they were unable to score again and it was another three points in the bag.  Hartley Wintney and Camberley both won again but Epsom dropped points at Knaphill in a one-one draw.

It was a good day all round for the Tangerines.  Jack Beadle was given the “Ashford Man of the Match” award by supporters but it could have been just about anyone in the side yesterday.  Despite the rain, the pitch behaved superbly and did not cut up in the slightest, which is good as the 1st Team attempt to reach the quarter finals of the Middlesex Senior Cup on Tuesday evening, when AFC Hayes will be the visitors, kick-off 7.45 p.m.

You can follow Ashford on Facebook - Ashford Town (Middlesex) Supporters and on Twitter - @ashfordtownmx

With Ashford not having played against Redhill for over 15 years, Saturday is something of an unknown prospect.  Indeed we welcome the Lobsters to Short Lane for their first visit since October 1990, when we met in the Surrey Senior Cup.  On that occasion we were successful, winning by 4 goals to 2, but only after extra time.  Our scorers were Andy Smith with two (one a pen), Steve Wyatt and Neil Morwood.  Andy is still around by the way, now helping out at Windsor with their Under-18 side.

Ashford will come into the match well rested, following last Saturday’s postponement at Farnham Town and manager Ben Murray has reported that just about everyone is now fit again, so we should be more or less at full strength.  Indeed Ben has sent out a rallying call this week and the web site would echo that in that we hope to see the juniors (and parents), the Ladies, the Sunday players etc. etc. all represented today, as we go into the winter period.  We also welcome our first ever Secretary Alan Hughes for the day as he is up from Cornwall.  Alan was the Club Secretary from 1965 to 1982 and will be warmly welcomed.  We also have five or more guests from SSE Lighting who did some work for us a little while ago via Mark Tobin and we extend an equally warm welcome to them.

Redhill have clearly seen a number of changes even since the start of the season, and are now under relatively new management.  They enjoyed an excellent 4-0 win at Hanworth Villa a fortnight ago, on a Friday evening but lost by a solitary late goal at home to Farnham Town on Tuesday.

We are at home again on Tuesday evening, when AFC Hayes will be the visitors, this time in the Middlesex Senior Cup, kick-off 7.45 p.m.  They have also changed their manager this week so it may well be a different side that we face to the one beaten here at Short Lane on the opening day of the season.  The winners will take their place in the Quarter-Final but the draw has not been released as yet.

The Ladies are away to Abbey Rangers (1.00 pm) on Sunday in the Capital Women's Cup, whilst the Sunday side are at home to Bedfont & Feltham Sunday (10.30 a.m.).  The Junior fixtures are as below:

Ashford Sports Club – Short Lane 11-a-side Pitch

Conor U15s v Epsom & Ewell 10am

Ashford Sports Club – 9 – 9 Pitch

Larry U12s v FC Sunbury 11am 

Ashford Town 5 – 5 Pitch

Matt U8s v Raynes Park 10.30

Ashford Town 7 – 7 Pitch

Graham U10s v Walton Casuals 10am

Matt U9s v Walton Casuals 11.15am

Nelson U10s v Hanworth 12.30pm

Ashford Town – Outfield

Marco U15s v Claygate 12.30

Away Games

Billy U7s v Corinthian Casuals

Tommy U7s v Kew Association

Andy U8s v Hampton Rangers

Fin U13s v Carshalton

Martin U14s v Ewell Saxons

Ben U15s v CB Hounslow

Tim U16s v Doverhouse

Carl U17s v Claygate

Joe U17s v Kew Park Rangers

No Games

Craig U13s


Ashford fought out a 2-2 draw with Aldershot yesterday evening in the Ryman Youth League.  Ashford were two up but a draw was probably the fairest outcome overall.

Here is manager Nick Bailey's summary:

Ashford entertained Aldershot on Wednesday evening in an eventful game that could have gone either way.

We started the brighter and it only took 22 minutes to open the score sheet, Jacob Bennett with his first home start of the season flicked the ball over the oncoming Aldershot defender with his back heel and scored the goal of the game with a perfectly executed shot just inside the Aldershot half that left their keeper with no chance, a wonderful goal with fantastic technique.

The second half started and once again we pressed high and our work rate paid off when Isaac Mplane scored Ashford’s second within two minutes of the restart, we looked bright and sharp and could have extended our lead when a strong penalty appeal went unheeded by the officials.

Aldershot pulled one back with half hour remaining and found the equaliser not long after with a set piece 2-2.

The pleasing thing from a developments point of view is that our lads didn't hide after the equalising goal and looked to get the winner.  We had a few chances to do so but couldn't quite finish them off.

The match finished 2-2 and we share the points and that was probably a fair result as on the night we had more chances and possession than our visitors but they, like us, had a massive penalty appeal turned down in stoppage time.

Indeed, it was a nervous end to the match as both teams could have won it so on reflection it was a good point for both sides.


With the 1st Team match postponed on Saturday, which, by the way, has been re-arranged for Saturday 21 November as both teams were free on that date due to their respective opponents still being in the FA Vase, it is time for a catch up.

Firstly, the Under-18’s lost 2-5 at league leaders at Hendon FC last Thursday.  Manager Nick Bailey has sent a brief report and here it is:

Ashford 18s travelled to league leaders Hendon on Wednesday evening and lost by 5 goals to 2.

Playing on a fast 3G pitch we knew we had to be at our best and for 45 minutes we were, our pressing and passing paid off when Otman Trad was slid in and made no mistake, 0-1 Ashford after 30 minutes. Lack of concentration and poor marking left Hendon’s Keegan Cole unmarked at the far post, without any pressure from our defence he shot and made it 1-1.

Ashford picked up the tempo once again and looked dangerous going forward, this time it was a long ball to Mason Roseboom who calmly chipped the oncoming keeper, 1-2 Ashford. 

The second half started with high tempo and we had a great chance to extend our lead but couldn't take the opportunity, Hendon finally equalised when our keeper mistimed his run and left a open goal for Hendon to take full advantage 2-2. The 3rd goal from Hendon was a well worked goal and one for the cameras, a half volley that left our keeper no chance. 

We kept going and got ourselves back into the game when a unfortunate mistimed kick from our keeper hit the oncoming Hendon midfielder in the face and somehow found the back of the net 4-2.

The final goal came in the closing minutes and it finished 5-2 to Hendon. 

A game of two halves, the first half we showed that we can hold our own in this league and on our day we are as good, if not better than our opposition - the second half showed that mistakes can cost you dearly at this level. 

This week the Under-18’s have another tough match this week, on Wednesday evening, when they will entertain Aldershot Town U18 in the Ryman Youth League, kick-off 7.45 p.m. at Short Lane.

The Ladies side continued their winning run on Sunday with a 6-0 victory over Orpington Ladies.  Here is the report:

Ashford Ladies comfortably beat Orpington Ladies in the one sided affair 6-0 after the game was cut short due an injury.

Ashford took the lead in the first half when Amy O’Sullivan struck the ball into the near post from an unlikely angle after beating two defenders.

Vicky James extended the lead soon after with a stunning strike from 25 yards out.

The Orpington goalkeeper was in inspired form against the league’s top goal scorer however Ashley Cheatley pounced on a lose clearance from a corner and fired in her first of the game.

It was half time and Ashford were managing well on a pitch that was heavily affected by the downpour of rain the day before.  Set pieces were a particularly strength for Ashford with the skipper James, putting in some great crosses. It was another set piece which saw Cheatley double her tally, rising above everyone else to head into the back of the net.

O’Sullivan was having a lot of success on the wing and found herself with a lot of time and space on the edge of the 18-yard box. She struck into the top corner with the goalkeeper only able to watch as it flew past her.

Cheatley scored the final goal of the game, which was the pick of the bunch. She picked up the ball from a cleared corner on the half way line leaving two defenders behind before wrong footing the goalkeeper and finding the net.

It was a fantastic goal to end a very professional performance by Ashford, in difficult conditions.

Our commiserations go out to the Orpington player who suffered a horrible injury 70 minutes into the game, we wish you a speedy recovery. The game was cut short due to this.

The Junior sides were in action on Sunday which was a generally successful day results wise, as follows:

Billy U7s 9-10 Kingston

Graham U10s 8-2 Halliford

Larry U12s 2-0 Bedfont Sports

Craig U13s 4-4 Kew Park Rangers

Fin U13s 5-2 Worcester Park

Martin U14s 10-6 Hampton Youth

Ben U15s 1-3 AFC Wembley

Tim U16s 1-0 Abbey Rangers

Carl U17s 1-7 Horsley

Joe U17s 4-3 Kew Park 

Graham Felch, Under-10 manager has taken the time to send in a report from his game and here it is:

On a pitch which wasn't the best for passing, due to the previous days horrendous weather conditions the boys set about their task with really good enthusiasm keen to show that the previous week was just a blip.  This was quickly rewarded with the 1st goal of the game following some excellent pressing from the attacking three, with Lewis finding the net with a tidy finish, with the 2nd following very quickly before Freddie ended a super move finding the net with a crisp shot from the edge of the box.

 Kew were very keen to play a passing game of their own which was good to see and often tried to counter with fast attacking play with Jack being called on twice in the 1st half before to keep the opposition at bay before  handing over GK duties to Erik for the 2nd period.

With a couple of changes at HT, the boys again showed they had learnt a lot from Saturdays session in the pouring rain adding a fifth goal, before Kew pulled a couple of goals back quickly again their fast attacking catching out a  goal hungry Ashford ( a lesson to the boys to that they must hold their shape & position) then came the move of the game starting with Erik.  Six passes involving five players and Lewis finishing off for number 7 ( his 6th) and in the final moments of the game Rudi adding number 8 following more good work between himself, Caden & Freddie. This was by far the best team performance the boys have put in this season and bodes well for the future weeks  - Certainly one for them to remember and their delight at the end of the match made it very rewarding for us coaches.  – more of the same next week please lads!!!

Junior Chairman Nick Bailey was out and about on Sunday and has sent us this summary of the day:

With my Sundays free from running a side I have the opportunity to catch up with all our Junior sides and watch them play. 

This week I had the pleasure of watching Billy's under 7s play in a 19 goal thriller. After Ashford finding themselves trailing by 7 goals to 2 they managed to pull it back to 7-7 and then there was never more than a goal advantage from both sides, the game finally finished 10-9 with Kingston taking all three points, but I must say that that was the perfect advert for developing grass roots football, our team has some fantastic players and certainly ones for the future.. 

I saw 5 matches yesterday but another game that I must mention was Craig s under 13s, they were playing top of the table Kew Park Rangers and after the first 15 minutes they found themselves 3 goals down with a mountain to climb. The lads managed to come out a different team in the second half by pulling 3 quick goals back to level the tie and they had a great opportunity to score the forth and get in front but they couldn't late it with the outside post denying them the lead. Kew eventually scored the forth but Ashford soon equalised and the game finished 4-4. I have seen these lads develop over the last few seasons and I can really see the team believing in themselves and its a pleasure to watch. 

The best part of my day was watching one of my lads (Tommy Fright) manage his new under 7s at home, it was great to see a lad who I have managed since he was 8 now stepping into the coaching role and doing such a great job. Tom is a fantastic player who now plays for our midweek Ryman side, this is the vision that I would like to have - our own coaching our own. Well done Tom. 

The Sunday side lost 2-8 to VOS but we don’t have a report on the proceedings as yet.

Following Wednesday’s youth match, the next game is on Saturday when Redhill are the visitors in the Combined Counties League, when they will be making their first visit to Short Lane since October 1990 when we met in the Surrey Senior Cup.  More on that one later in the week.





Ashford are due to return to league action on Saturday with a visit to Farnham Town but a pitch inspection is planned for 11.45 a.m. so we will put further information on here as soon as we know.. The telephone number at Farnham is 01252 715305, whilst the clubhouse number at Ashford is 01784 245908.

Farnham, currently in 16th place, were defeated in the FA Vase last week, narrowly losing after extra time to Eastbourne Town, and they also suffered a close (3-4) home defeat against Windsor in their most recent league match.  Before that, though, they had won 2-0 at Raynes Park Vale.

The address of the ground is the Memorial Ground, West Street, Farnham, GU9 7DY.  There is a small amount of parking at the ground, if you are early but it has been the habit to park on the other side of the pitch in the Memorial Hall where parking is ample.  It would seem though that it is now at your own risk as signs are up pointing out it is private land and effectively prohibiting parking.

Our other teams are due to be in action this weekend as follows:

Ashford Sports Club - Club House 11-a-side Pitch

Craig U13s v Kew Park Rangers 12.30

Ashford Sports Club – Short Lane 11-a-side Pitch

No Fixture

Ashford Sports Club – 9 – 9 Pitch

Larry U12s v Bedfont Eagles 11am 

Ashford Town 5 – 5 Pitch

Billy U7s v Kingston Youth 10.30

Tommy U7s v Junior Bees 11.30

Andy U8s v Kew Association 12.30

Ashford Town 7 – 7 Pitch

Matt U9s v Halliford 10.30

Ashford Town – Outfield

Gary Sunday Men v VOS 10.30


Away Games

Graham U10s v Kew Association

Nelson U10s v CB Hounslow

Fin U13s v Worcester Park

Martin U14s v Hampton Youth

Marco U15s v Spelthorne Sports

Tim U16s v Abbey Rangers

Carl U17s v Horsley

Joe U17s v Kew Park Rangers

Ladies v Orpington

No Games

Matt U8s

Conor U15s

BA also appear to be without a match on Saturday.


For the second season since returning to the competition, Ashford were unable to make progress in the FA Vase, losing 1-3 at home on Tuesday evening to Kidlington FC.

An excellent start on a perfect surface suggested that it was going to be one of those special Tuesday evening matches that we have seen so many of over the years, especially when Samad Kazi made the most of a defensive error to put the Tangerines ahead on 19 minutes.

Sadly that was as good as it got.  Kidlington showed their expertise by equalising just after the half hour mark and then went in front seconds before half-time.  Ashford were incensed over the second goal as minutes earlier Russell Canderton had been cautioned for what seemed a perfectly good tackle and then, in the build up to Kidlington’s goal, there had been a lunge at an Ashford player which, although fortunately, it didn’t connect, was clearly dangerous and should have been punished.

The second half saw Kidlington coming out with their tails up and poor defensive work allowed them to score a third goal just eight minutes in and effectively win the tie.  Ben Murray made a triple substitution on the hour mark, including George Marks who was sent up front and he certainly made an impact creating two excellent chances, one of which was deflected just wide and the other well saved.

Kidlington were in no mood to surrender their lead though and saw the tie out reasonably comfortably.  Ashford can have no complaints as they were beaten by the better side on the night and we wish them well in the remainder of the competition, as it will certainly take a good side to put them out.

Whilst not decrying any of our players who gave their best, as always, the continuing absence through injury of Dan Fleming and Mark Bitmead up front, with 60+ goals between them last season, is a major factor in the mixed results in recent weeks.  Bitmead made the bench last night but as a possible sub keeper only, although one hopes he will finally be back on Saturday.

One or two other observations:  referee Scott who handled the match well in general, was far too quick to hand out cards, those for Canderton and Marks in particular being risible following two excellent tackles.

Off the field and maybe this is due to different procedures in the Hellenic League, whilst flooding the boardroom at half-time with seemingly  just about every supporter they had present, all the apparent Kidlington officials were invited to partake of a hot meal after the match, as is Ashford’s practice, but not one of them came in afterwards.  There was no reason to assume it was a deliberate snub but it is annoying when one person (the Club Chairman in fact) has worked his socks off beforehand to provide the meal, only for it to be re-buffed.

One or two eyebrows were raised when Middlesex County named Derek Hookway as one of the assistants, at the age of 75.  Derek was superb though throughout, never putting a foot (or a flag wrong) and putting many of us to shame with his incredible fitness at such an advanced age (football wise that is).  On that point, the FA need to sort out who appoints assistants in FA Competition replays.  Our club secretary received an email from the County to say that from the 1st Round on in the Vase, the FA now make the appointments, only for the FA Referees’ Section to fail to answer what were urgent emails, leaving the County to do the appointments in the end.  It made for a lot or work for unpaid club officials and we should expect better from the football authorities.

Finally the Club has received the sad news that Lewis Taylor’s injury is so severe that he is certainly out for the rest of the season and maybe longer.  It was good to see him at the match last night and we shall all look forward to the time when he is finally able to make a comeback in Ashford colours after becoming an instant favourite since joining us in the summer.

It’s back to the League on Saturday, when Ashford will travel to Farnham Town and there will be more on that one later in the week.  The Under-18’s are in action this evening (Wednesday) playing away to Ryman Youth League leaders (West Section) Hendon FC.  The lads though showed what they are capable of last week in the match against Bedfont and will hopefully give a good display.

Fog permitting, Ashford will entertain Hellenic League Kidlington FC on Tuesday evening in a replay of Saturday’s FA Vase 1st Round match, which saw the clubs share four goals.  The replay will be conducted in the knowledge that the winners will be at home to Deal Town in the 2nd Round to be played on 21 November.  The full draw involving CCL clubs can be found on the CCL web site:

Kidlington showed themselves to be an excellent team on Saturday on their own ground and Ashford had to dig deep to salvage the draw.  On home turf it may be different but will still be a tough match to win.  This time there will be both extra time and penalties to decide the winner if necessary.  One thing is certain in that we need all our supporters present if possible as sometimes they can make all the difference at home.

The other match this midweek sees the Under-18’s away to Hendon U18 on Wednesday evening, kick-off 7.45 p.m.  The address of the ground is Silver Jubilee Park Townsend Lane Kingsbury London NW9 7NE

We now know that our opponents in the 2nd Round of the Middlesex Charity Cup will be North Greenford United who overcame Hanwell Town last week.  We don’t have a date as yet.

The match against Knaphill, now postponed tomorrow evening has been re-arranged for Tuesday 9 February, although we will be going to Knaphill before then, on Tuesday 1 December in fact, in the 2nd Rounf of the Surrey Senior Cup.

There were some excellent junior results on Sunday and here they all are:

Matt U8s v 7-3 Hanworth

Andy U8s W & L

Graham U10s 3-4 CB Hounslow

Larry U12s 5-0 Kew Park Rangers

Craig U13s 4-3 Mitcham Park

Fin U13s 8-0 Manorcroft

Ben U15s 5-1 Leatherhead

Conor U15s 4-0 Acton Whistlers / County Cup

Tim U16s 6-2 Wallington Wanderers

Joe U17s 3-0 Manorcroft 

The Sunday side lost 1-6 but on Saturday BA beat Southall Res 4-1 to go 5th in the Middlesex County League table.



Despite dominating possession for much of the match, Kidlington FC were unable to get the better of Ashford on Saturday in the FA Vase, despite extra time, so the tie now proceeds to a reply at Short Lane on Tuesday evening, kick-off 7.45 p.m.

With Bailey Mummery serving a one-match suspension, Josh Andrew cup-tied and none of the injured players quite ready to return, Ashford’s squad was stretched to the limit, with three youth players on the bench.  Bradley Wainwright ploughed a lonely furrow up front but after early Kidlington pressure, it was he who deftly nodded the visitors ahead on just 8 minutes, thanks to good work on the right in the first place by Samad Kazi.

Kidlington were not a team to lay down though and the goal of the game saw them equalise soon afterwards, a terrific shot giving Tyler Tobin absolutely no chance.  They don’t appear to issue team sheets for spectators in the Hellenic League so sadly, the scorer’s name is not known but that does not detract from the quality of the strike.

That led to sustained pressure from the home side but Ashford resisted with all their customary doggedness and, helped by some woeful finishing by the home side, there were no further goals before the break.  The second half brought little respite if the truth be told and when another fierce effort with around 20 minutes left on the clock put Kidlington ahead, the writing seemed to be on the wall for the Tangerines.

Yet again though, that doggedness re-surfaced and with ten to go, it was Max Webb’s turn to crash the ball home after an effort from Jack Beadle, which was actually going wide but was conveniently cleared to Webb’s feet by a defender and he made no mistake.

Extra time saw no additions to the scoreline and on their own patch on Tuesday evening, Ashford manager Ben Murray will expect his team to do more attacking than in this match.  It would be hard to criticise the defence as they worked their socks off, with Scott Weight just in front of the back four, also prominent.  Central defenders Russell Canderton and Will Boye were immense at the heart of the back four but it was keeper Tyler Tobin who was awarded the “Ashford Man of the Match” award, with several stunning saves.

The scheduled league match away to Knaphill on Tuesday will now be postponed and re-arranged for another date.  Although it will obviously be an “either/or” situation, Ashford will figure in the 2nd Round draw, which will be publicised on Monday.

Before departing, mention must be made of the Under-18’s who, following their indifferent form against Staines last Monday, managed to beat Bedfont Sports in the Ryman Youth League Cup (the Lucas Fettes Cup) on Wednesday evening by 3 goals to 1.  A short report has been received from manager Nick Bailey, as follows:

Ashford played Bedfont Sports in the Lucas Fettes cup last night and produced the performance that we all know they can, they pressed from minute one and the work rate didn't drop until the final whistle.


We started the brighter and created two great scoring opportunities, but still found ourselves 1 down inside 10 minute. Tthe goal a few weeks ago may have affected the lads but the belief was still there and everyone knew that we were playing the better football and chances would come again - and they did, this time it was our striker Isaac Mplana who is the league’s top goalscorer and he showed us why, when from our corner the ball found Isaac and he made no mistake in smashing it into the net 1-1.


The half time team talk was an easy one - the motivation was clear to see from everyone in the changing room and it was a case of keep doing what you’re doing, put them under pressure and go and win the game. 

The second half started and we continued to press all over the park and not allow Bedfont to play. Our second goal was a brilliant move that come from our winger Keegan Stewart who`s pace caused Bedfont problems all night, again it was Isaac who stuck the ball in the net with a clinical finish 2-1.


With time running out Isaac signalled to the bench that he needed to come off so we subbed him with Harry Herdman in a straight swap, Bedfont knew that time was against them and started hitting it long but Harry finally put the game to bed with minutes on the clock when he found himself 1 on 1 with Bedfonts keeper and he made no mistake with a brilliant well taken goal. 

MOTM was a difficult decision as there wasn't one player who put a foot out of place the whole match - but was eventually given to Keegan Stewart who caused problems all night. 

3-1 to Ashford and into the next round, so proud of the lads as we've had a busy week with two games in 48 hours and against tough opposition, well done everyone. “