At the end of the day it was another clean sheet and three more points in the bag as Ashford beat Petersfield Town by the only goal of the game, scored by Mark Bitmead on the stroke of half-time.

It was not a match to stir the blood and the unexpectedly windy conditions certainly did not help.  Petersfield came with a plan to defend and, presumably, hit Ashford on the break and for much of the time it worked although the visitors were rarely able to offer any real threat.  Indeed, the Tangerines attacked incessantly throughout the first half and should have been comfortably ahead at the break.  Frustration was starting to settle in but with referee Pattinson preparing to blow his whistle for half-time, Bitmead, back on goal scoring form, with four goals in his last four matches, hammered home from close range.

With the strong wind largely behind them in the second half and a goal to the good, Ashford were looking to build upon some useful, if unrewarded, play in the first half but it just wouldn’t go in and visitors Petersfield came more into the match.  In truth, apart from one stunning save, they rarely looked like equalising though until near the end when Ashford became a little careless, especially keeper Tobin who dropped the ball at the feet of an attacker who was rather unfortunate to see a foul given against him.  That decision actually saved Ashford’s bacon as there would have been little time to come back.  That said though, Ashford probably enjoyed more than 75% possession and any other result than three points would have been a travesty.

With Eli Ogunseye gone as quickly as he arrived (he’s now back at Colliers Wood United), there were some rotational changes but the Ashford “man of the match” award went to Romario Jonas, who was solid at the back when he needed to be.  As always Samad Kazi took the eye with some pacy runs on the flanks, whilst  Bitmead was possibly unlucky right at the death not to increase the lead as he found himself clean through on goal but some split second timing from referee Jim Paterson saw the whistle go for full-time.  Mr. Paterson’s explanation afterwards that he thought he would miss anyway was not entirely convincing, but he remains a good referee who uses his experience to the full.


Ashford lost at home to league leaders Royston Town on Tuesday evening by 4 goals to 1.

On the evidence of this display there seems little doubt that Royston will take some shifting from the top of the league, looking far more convincing than when Ashford played at Royston a month or so back.  In fact Ashford did not play badly at all, taking an early lead and all the players gave their all.  Royston were just too good on the night over 90 minutes as they have been for many clubs this season.

The match though started with a bang for the Tangerines as Bayley Mummery picked up the ball widish right and hit a wicked high dipping volley from distance into the net which left the Royston keeper stranded, on just 58 seconds to be precise.

At that early stage Royston looked ragged and when Dan Fleming hit a tremendous effort quite soon afterwards which rebounded from the bar with force, one started to wonder if it was going to be one of those special Ashford evenings we have experienced so often in the past.  Sadly this turned out not be the case as their excellent opponents got themselves into the match and equalised on 13 minutes when a corner kick came in and, under great pressure Max Webb was only able to turn the ball into his own net.

This cranked up the pressure on the Tangerines and the match turned just four minutes later when Royston’s Kaan Fhemi took full advantage of an unfortunate slip by Tyler Tobin, to slide the ball home.

Ashford remained spirited but the visitors were now looking very strong and it was not a great surprise, when they increased their lead on 31 minutes thanks to a fearsome strike from Danny May that no keeper could have stopped.

There was no further scoring before the break and, despite a penalty awarded to Royston for handball which was blazed miles over the bar, Ashford did their best to retrieve the situation.  Despite a period of far better possession, they were unable to make a further impression on the visiting defence though and it was definitely game over when Royston scored their fourth on 67 minutes, substitute John Frendo finishing off an impressive move.

The match rather fizzled out after that with Royston knowing the game was won and Ashford having lost the intensity of their earlier play.

The Tangerines now go on to entertain Petersfield Town on Saturday and it is rather odd in that we play the top team one night and then the team at the foot of the table in the next match.  Nobody though will be under-estimating our visitors, as although we managed to win at their ground, they made life tough enough for us and they have certainly not generally been losing by large margins.  It will be the first ever visit to Short Lane by Petersfield and we shall look forward to welcoming them.

There are one or two milestones to report:  Max Webb has now played in over 150 competitive matches for the club, whilst Will Boye has passed the 50 mark after joining us last season.  Tommy Brunton has now made in excess of 150 starts for the 1st Team and Scott Weight now needs to play in nine more matches to record his 300th appearance.  We currently have nine regular 1st Team players who have started more than 100 competitive matches for the club, which is impressive stuff especially as the majority are still under 25 years of age.


Ashford secured all three points at Uxbridge on Saturday, winning by two goals to nil, to record their second “double” of the season.

It was a full blooded affair at times and Ashford were furious when Max Herbert received the first card of the match for a comparatively gentle push, after three late tackles from the home side had left Ashford players needing treatment.  Lest the writer be accused of being blinkered, the Tangerines also had cause to be grateful for some lenient refereeing in the second half when tackles from Tommy Brunton and Samad Kazi could, on another day, have seen them enjoying an early bath.

There was plenty of good attacking football as well with ex-Ashford keeper Paul McCarthy  in good form between the sticks for Uxbridge, pushing away determined efforts from the likes of Max Webb and Dan Fleming.  Tyler Tobin was in equally imperious form for the Tangerines but on balance he had less to do.  It remained goalless at the break though.

It was fairly clear that the opening goal would be significant and it did not take too long for Ashford to achieve this, just six minutes into the re-start.  A free kick from the rejuvenated Mark Bitmead was too well placed for McCarthy to hold and as it went loose Romario Jonas  was the first to react to put the ball in the net.

That was the key for a determined fight back from the home side and Ashford’s seeming insistence upon conceding silly fouls in dangerous areas did not help.  However, a combination of poor finishing and determined defensive work ensured that there was no breakthrough and in the 66th minute Ashford effectively made the game safe with the second goal, when a deft through ball from Fleming saw Bitmead doing what he does best, slipping the ball past McCarthy with aplomb.

Ashford defended reasonably comfortably after that and might even have scored one or two more themselves.  The final score though was satisfying as it meant a clean sheet and the third win from the last four matches.  Max Webb’s non-stop running and determination saw him voted the “Ashford man of the match” by supporters, but nobody did badly and the lightning pace of Eli Ogunseye provided more than one “wow” moment.

The recent form has completely dispelled some of the gloom that had started to creep in and Ashford will now go into the home match on Tuesday against champions elect, Royston Town, in excellent spirits, which they will need against arguably the best side in the division.  Our opponents have suffered only one defeat since the turn of the year, against Kidlington and are now sitting fairly comfortably at the top of the table with a five point and two match advantage over nearest rivals Farnborough.  It was only a few weeks ago though that we gave them a very close game up at Royston.  The match kicks off at 7.45 pm at Short Lane.

A big well done goes to the Under-13’s who made it to their County Cup final on Sunday morning and also to Larry’s juniors who also won their semi-final.  There will hopefully be some more details on these matches later in the week.  Also the Ladies made it through to the semi-final of the Capital Women’s Cup with a 4-2 win over AFC Phoenix Res.  The scorers were Laura Huse (2), Beth Sheehan and Charmaine Benham.  We also understand that Ashley Cheatley, recently departed to Millwall Lionesses in the Women’s Premier League scored her first goal for them today in a 3-1 win over Nottingham Forest in the SSE Women’s FA Cup.

Following their confidence boosting 6 goal haul on Tuesday, Ashford should make the short trip to Uxbridge FC in good heart on Saturday.

Uxbridge are just one point behind the Tangerines, although Ashford have a game in hand and it looks like a tight match, although whether it can match the ten goals in Uxbridge’s last match when they lost 4-6 to Egham remains to be seen.  The biggest positive for Ashford is probably the return to goal scoring form of both Mark Bitmead and Dan Fleming, the latter now with 4 goals in the last two matches.  Ashford will though have to be on their guard against Uxbridge’s Matthew Woods who scored a hatrick in the defeat against Egham and has 16 league goals to his name this season

The address of the ground is Horton Road, West Drayton, UB7 8HX and there is a large car park.  The journey, ground to ground, should not take more than 20 minutes at the most.

As always, there is a whole host of junior matches on Sunday and here they are:

Ashford Sports Club - Club House 11-a-side Pitch

Martin U15s v Epsom & Ewell 10am

Simon U16s v Lyne Lions 11:30am

Ashford Sports Club – Short Lane 11-a-side Pitch

Fin U14s v Esher Colts 10am

Ben U16s v Old Coulsdon 11:30

Ashford Town 5 – 5 Pitch 1

Chris U8s v Cass U8s 10am

Neil U8s v Esher Wizards 11am

Ashford Town 5 – 5 Pitch 2

Steve U8s v Staines Town 10am

Bill U8s v Met Police 11am

Ashford Town 9 – 9 Pitch

Joe U12s v Motspur Park 10am

Graham U11s v Nelson U11s 11am

Ashford Town – Outfield

Carl 10:30

Craig U15s v Kew Park Rangers 12:30

Away Games

Larry U13s v Old Coulsdon

John U13s v Motspur Park

Paul U13s v Ruislip (county cup)

Conor U16s v Met Police


Once again we wish good luck to Paul’s Under-13’s who make another attempt to play their County Cup semi-final away to Ruislip

Ashford Ladies made light of the loss of Ashley Cheatley to Millwall Lionesses and scored 13 without reply last Sunday as they beat Putney Vale Ladies.  On Sunday it’s back to Cup action as the girls take on AFC Phoenix Reserves in the quarter-final of the Capital Women’s Cup.  Unusually kick-off is at 11.00 a.m. at Clapham Common and you can read more on the Ladies own website.

The men’s social side have not enjoyed a positive season but will have another go on Sunday when they play away to Bedfont Sports, kicking off at 10.30 a.m.

More details are available now about the new "100 Club" starting in March.

It is envisaged that there will be a monthly draw with three prizes each month of £100, £50 and £25.  IN addition there will be a separate draw at the start of the season in August for a one-off £500 followed by another special draw at Christmas, when there will be a one-off prize of £1000.

The Draw Administator will be Graham Felce and you can reserve your number(s) right now by contacting Graham on This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..  The cost will be just £5 per month by standing order or you can pay a lump sum for the year and sit back and wait for your number(s) to come up.  We are setting up a specific bank account so please don't send any money yet.


Fielding a strong squad, albeit with Tommy Brunton and Russell Canderton on the bench, Ashford made further progress on Tuesday in the Middlesex Charity Cup, winning by 6 goals to 3 at North Greenford United. 

Even allowing for the fact that their opponents are at Step 5, and they are no bad side, obviously building for the future after suffering relegation at the end of last season, this turned into a match that almost deserved the accolade of scintillating, such was the quality of some of the goals from both sides.

On a heavy but perfectly playable surface, Ashford looked immediately purposeful as Dan Fleming went close but were rocked back when NGU took the lead in effectively their first attack.  A right wing surge led to a cross and NGU’s Alfie Cain was on hand to give Tyler Tobin no chance.

Fortunately there seemed to be a collective determination about the side tonight and the equaliser was not long in arriving and it was one of the contenders for “goal of the evening” as Harry Herdman combined with Samad Kazi, whose low cross picked out Dan Fleming who controlled the ball and hammered it home .

The match was even enough at this stage and some of the football on show was to be applauded but it was Ashford who went ahead on 38 minutes when, once again Herdman and Kazi combined to give Fleming another opportunity and he took it with aplomb.  Sadly, to illustrate the old adage that any team is at its most vulnerable after scoring, NGU went straight down the field and equalised within a minute through Dan Vincent.  Ashford were convinced it was offside as they stood like statues but there was no swaying the officials and the teams went in level after an entertaining first half.

We then had a “drama” during the interval with one of the assistants reporting himself unwell and there was a delay of around 20 minutes whilst a replacement was found but when the match did resume it seemed a catalyst for the Tangerines who regained the lead within four minutes.  It was a very welcome goal for Mark Bitmead from a long range free kick albeit deflected.  Mark has gone through a lean patch recently but has worked hard to come through it and he deserved his reward.  Ashford looked to have the initiative now and on the hour mark made it 4-2.  NGU could only partially clear a corner and the ball rebounded to Samad Kazi who shot home with considerable force from distance.  Ashford were cruising now and within minutes Kazi scored again, arguably an even better goal, somehow curling it in from a tight angle almost on the byeline.

To their credit though, NGU continued to play and refused to accept defeat.  Not too often, but shford still looked uncertain at the back at times and it was their undoing on 78 minutes when they conceded possession allowing Vincent to  become the next player to send in an unstoppable effort to bring the score to 5-3 in favour of the visitors.

It was Ashford though who had the last word, as the rejuvenated Bitmead got on the ball again and drove at the goal and finished with confidence,  It was certainly good to see both him and Dan Fleming back amongst the goals.

It all became too much for one NGU player whose act of dissent in front of the bench included throwing his shirt at the referee and there was a considerable delay as he took a long time to walk off the pitch following the inevitable red card.  He may well face additional disciplinary action but it did not detract from the overall showing of both sides.  NGU have consolidated this season, following relegation last season, but they look a very promising side as they rebuild their squad.

For Ashford, no-one will get carried away but the overall performance was back to their early season form and just what they needed after some incredible misfortune recently.   It is important now though that Ashford show the same determination on Saturday at Uxbridge, more of which tomorrow.  There were several contenders for “Ashford man of the match” but in the absence of the usual official vote, the writer would choose Samad Kazi, so fast and determined and with two goals to his credit.  There could be honourable mentions for just about everyone but a special word also goes to Harry Herdman who was given a start from the Under-18’s and he is starting to look like a fully fledged 1st Team player, being directly involved in two of the goals and showing up well throughout the evening.

An 88th minute goal for visitors AFC Dunstable meant a narrow defeat for Ashford on Saturday by three goals to two.

From the Tangerines’ point of view, this was a disappointing outcome but the performance overall was far better than the previous Saturday at Fleet Town.  Ashford manager Ben Murray rang the changes, forced to an extent, with the unavailability of Max Webb and Samad Kazi and also the departure of Kam English to Marlow earlier in the week.  The Club did not have to release the player as Marlow failed to sign the player within 21 days of their original approach but there is little point holding on to a player who thinks his future will be better elsewhere so he has gone.  Romario Jonas returned to the starting line-up at right back whilst Eli Ogunseye and Theo Alexis both made their full debuts for the club.  Against their high flying opponents, Ashford looked determined from the start to put the previous week behind them but that intent suffered an early blow when the visitors took the lead on 7 minutes, a low cross evading Tyler Tobin’s grasp, leaving Jermaine Hall to stroke the ball into the net.

Despite the recent indifferent form there is no lack of spirit within the team and Ashford got well on top after that and equalised on 24 minutes.  An effort from Mark Bitmead proved too difficult for Dunstable keeper Gary Malone (who played a single match for Ashford a few seasons ago) and as he spilt it Dan Fleming was on hand to force it home.

This was Ashford’s best period of the game and just six minutes later, Fleming did it again, as he put the Tangerines ahead from close range as Malone once again failed to gather from Bitmead’s effort.

The match was largely end to end and Ashford were indebted to Tobin for a superb stop from an effort by Jermaine Hall for the visitors.  Fleming almost then notched his hatrick but it was Dunstable who had the last word of the first half when in the second minute of 1st half stoppage time Will Boye made an attempt to tackle an opponent who was actually going away from goal at that moment.  Both players fell but it was adjudged a foul by referee Kyle and Hall made no mistake from the spot.  It was ironic as the additional time had largely come from an injury suffered by Bailey Mummery who was tackled with incredible force on the edge of the Dunstable penalty area earlier on.  His opponent may well have got the ball but the tackle was made with no concern for the safety of the player and Mummery was down for a long time receiving treatment.  Incredibly, the referee had allowed play to go on, for yet another injustice at the hands of officialdom suffered in recent weeks by Ashford.  That solitary incident should not though overshadow the fact that generally Mr. Kyle had a reasonable match and the game was played in good spirit.

At two apiece at the break, it was anyone’s match and the general view was that there would be further goals.  There certainly could have been with chances at both ends.  For Ashford, Dan Fleming was so unlucky not to score again when an astute lob over the keeper just went wide, whilst Mummery’s fierce effort suffered the same fate.  A draw had started to look inevitable and would have been fair but with just two minutes left, AFC scored the goal that gave them all three points.  A break down the left and a pin point cross gave Nathan Frater an almost unmissable opportunity to head home.

Despite the defeat, Ashford should remain in good heart for forthcoming games as it was arguably the best performance for some time.  There was no “Ashford man of the match” award this week but had there been one, Bailey Mummery would have been one of the main contenders, along with Dan Fleming.  Devante McKain had his best game for the club since joining on loan from Staines Town, whilst Ogunseye looked even faster than the departed English.  Alexis also showed some excellent touches in midfield.

On Tuesday evening, Ashford make the short but traffic ridden journey to meet North Greenford United in the 2nd Round of the Middlesex Charity Cup, kick-off 7.45 p.m.  North Greenford’s game at home on Saturday was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch and we did offer them the opportunity to come to Short Lane, as they did last season, but they feel that everything will be OK tomorrow evening, so we should be on.

The address of the ground is Berkeley Fields, Berkeley Avenue, Greenford, UB6 0NX.  The draw for the 3rd Round does not appear to have been made or at least it doesn’t show on the County web site, which has not always been up to date this season but we can worry about that when and if we have to.

Sadly Ben Murray’s Under-16’s were defeated on Sunday in the semi-final of their County Cup losing by three goals to one whilst the Under-13 County Cup semi-final was postponed at Ruislip, so they will go again next Sunday.  The other junior results from yesterday were:

Larry U13s 0-2 Whitton

Craig U14s 1-4 Whitton

Ben U16s 1-3 Conquest (county cup)

Conor U16s 3-0 Met Police  


The Ladies duly won their league match against Putney Vale by 13 goals to nil, despite the loss of top scorer Ashley Cheatley who left the club last week, having signed a contract for Millwall Lionesses in the Women’s Super League.  There will a separate article on this in due course but in the meantime we all wish Ashley every success.


Weather permitting, Ashford are back in action on Saturday with a home match against AFC Dunstable, kick-off 3.00 p.m.  This will be the first ever visit to Short Lane by AFC Dunstable, not to be confused with Dunstable Town whom we have met on several occasions.

Our opponents, who were also promoted at the end of last season, have enjoyed a good campaign and will arrive in 5th position in the table with 49 points from 30 matches played.  We played at Dunstable on a Sunday earlier in the season and lost heavily by four goals to one, ours coming from Dan Fleming and just like last week it was not a match that will linger long in Ashford minds as Dunstable could have scored several more on the day.  It’s not an excuse, of course, but we have still never had an explanation as to why the match was on a Sunday.  We are aware, of course, that the two Dunstables share the ground but there are sufficient Saturdays through the season to accommodate that.  The writer’s best guess is that it was an undiscovered “cxxx-up” that didn’t come to light until it was too late to change, as to re-arrange the match for another Saturday would have had a disproportionate effect upon other fixtures.  Whatever it was, we hope we are not selected for any more Sunday fixtures. 

After today, we are due to play away to North Greenford United on Tuesday evening in the quarter final of the Middlesex Charity Cup.  It is the last cup we are left in for this season, of course.  Our opponents’ ground is more susceptible than most to the weather so there is a possibility that, if both sides agree, it could be switched to Short Lane.  Keep your eye on the web site for details of any change.

Finally, with the weekly prediction competition now ceased, there is to be a brand new 100 club completion starting in March.  There will be fuller details very shortly on the website and around the club.

There are plenty of junior matches on Sunday, of course, and below are the fixtures.  We send the very best of luck to our two sides competing tomorrow in their respective County Cup semi-finals, namely Ben’s Under-16’s and Paul’s Under-13’s

Ashford Sports Club - Club House 11-a-side Pitch

Conor U16s v Met Police 10am

John U13s v AFC Ewell 11:30

Ashford Sports Club – Short Lane 11-a-side Pitch

Ben U16s v Conquest 10:30 (County Cup)

Ashford Town 5 – 5 Pitch 1

Michael U7s v Colin U7s 10am

Ashford Town 5 – 5 Pitch 2

Neil U8s v Walton Casuals 10:30

Ashford Town 9 – 9 Pitch

Graham U11s v Matt U10s 11am

Ashford Town Stadium

Ladies v Putney 2pm

Away Games

Matt U9s v FC Sunbury

Joe U12s v Kew Park Rangers

Larry U13s v Whitton Wanderers

Paul U13s v Parkfield (County Cup)

Craig U14s v Whitton Wanderers

Fin U14s v Shelton Athletic


The Ladies are at home in the League to Putney Vale (2.00 p.m.) in the Greater London Women’s League whilst the Sunday social men’s side are at home to Armenian Youth on the back pitch, kick-off 10.30 a.m.


REMINDER:  On Tuesday evening, from 8.00 p.m. manager Ben Murray will be on hand to answer questions from supporters along with members of the 1st Team squad.   It will be a social evening with everyone welcome, especially members of the juniors.   Come and ask questions – don’t just use the forum or Facebook.   You can be sure that Ben will answer honestly as he sees it.

Ashford suffered an ignominious defeat on Saturday, losing 0-3 at Fleet Town.

The opening period of the match was even enough, but on 16 minutes Fleet were awarded a penalty kick when keeper Tyler Tobin was adjudged to have committed a foul.  The writer was too far away to take too definite a view on it although from the far end it looked as if Tobin had taken the ball.  The referee was probably right but it seems a fair bet at the moment that any decisions with any hint of controversy will go against Ashford.

Six minutes later though Fleet made it two and frankly, never looked back from that moment on, looking stronger and more determined than their visitors, even after they had a man sent off for a very poor tackle on Max Webb

There was no addition to the scoreline before half-time, but playing down the slope in the second half, Fleet made it three within six minutes of the resumption and it was definitely match over from that point as Fleet rarely looked like squandering their advantage.  Ashford’s best effort came from Dan Fleming, whose fierce effort was well saved but in truth the Tangerines never looked like pulling it back despite the man advantage.

That isn’t to say they didn’t play some neat football at times, especially when Tommy Brunton was in possession, but in the vital areas of defending they were found wanting too often whilst up front, the goal famine continued to the point where the result became inevitable long before the end.  All that said, nobody was playing that badly and both Tommy Brunton and Samad Kazi were outstanding at times whilst Will Boye showed up well when he came on, but the overall sparkle was missing for much of the match which was a shame after the previous week’s win.

There is no 1st Team midweek match so the squad and management have a full week on which to galvanise the squad and get back to that early season form which had showed hints of returning the previous Saturday.  The visitors this week will be AFC Dunstable, a strong side, who also enjoyed a resounding home win when they played Ashford earlier in the season.  It is time for a determined response from the Tangerines so let’s hope we get it.

Most of the Sunday junior sides were in action and here are the results:

Michael U7s 5-3 Wolves

Cass U8s 6-1 Whitton

Steve U8s 8-2 Halliford

Andy U9s 2-6 Staines

Matt U9s 3-2 Carshalton

Graham U11s 2-2 Esher

Joe U12s 1-11 Farncombe

John U13s 1-4 Claygate

Paul U13s 7-2 Chipstead

Craig U14s 5-3 Hampton Youth

Fin U14s 2-4 Ruislip (County Cup)

Martin U15s 2-3 Sandgate

Ben U16s 3-1 Ewell Saxons

Conor U16s 2-0 Woking

Fin’s Under-14’s lost their county cup semi-final against Ruislip but they fought back from 3 down at half time to bring it back to 3-2.  They were chasing the equaliser when Ruislip broke away with the killer goal, losing 4-2 on the day.   It was a praiseworthy achievement for the side to reach the county cup semi-final though and they will come back all the stronger for it.  Good luck to Ruislip in the Final.

The Ladies, as so often, won again, this time beating Greenhouse Sports by 8 goal to 1.  Here is a brief summary from manager Will Boye:

The Tangerines began the game in fine form and took the lead after the half hour mark when Charmaine Benham delivered in a cross for Sequoia Belworthy to head in at the back post.  That goal appeared to be exactly what Ashford needed as they began to turn on the style with Ashley Cheatley doubling the lead only a few minutes after with a well taken goal.  Cheatley scored again just before Greenhouse struck.

H/T: 3-1

Lavana Neufville was a constant threat to the opposition and delivered another pinpoint cross met by Cheatley to volley in her hatrick.  Lauren Restel managed to find Benham who had space to pick out a pass through the defensive unit to release Neufville who's shot was too hot for the goalkeeper to keep hold of.  Neufville found space in behind the oppositions defence once more and calmly finished, what was a replica of her previous.

Cheatley then scored another two goals before the full time whistle with her pick of the goals being a sublime chip over the on-rushing goalkeeper.

F/T: 8-1

LINEUP: L Restel, J Boyd, A Luzar, L Huse, N Jacobs, V James, C Benham, S Phillips-Hines, L Neufville, S Belworthy, A Cheatley

SUB: B Sheehan, L Richardson

The Sunday social side were without a match.



Fleet Town have confirmed that their pitch has passed a morning inspection and that this afternoon's game is ON

Weather permitting, Ashford will make the reasonably short trip to meet Fleet Town on Saturday.  The address of the ground is Calthorpe Park, Crookham Road, Fleet, Hants, GU51 5FA.  Kick-off is 3.00 p.m. and it is a journey of 24 miles down the M3 leaving at Junction 4A.  The weather forecast is not great as we all know but hopefully the game will go ahead.

Fleet are currently five places below Ashford in the table but that is deceptive as just three points separate the two clubs.  They have possibly suffered more than most in terms of postponemnts in January, in which their record shows a 6-1 home win over Kidlington, a 0-2 defeat at Royston and, last week, a 4-4 draw away at Beaconsfield.  Back at our ground in September we rather threw the match away eventually losing 3-4.  All in all, therefore, it will be a tough match.

A quick well done goes to Bailey Mummery who, last Saturday, celebrated his 50th 1st Team competitive start with our first goal in the win over Arlesey.

Earlier this week, our Under-18 side, under Will Boye, pulled off a tremendous win at Hayes and Yeading, winning by three goals to nil, the goals coming from Harry Herdman (2) and Keegan Stewart.  After some very unlucky defeats this season, usually by the odd goal, this win will serve as a major boost for the remainder of the season.  Their next scheduled match is on Wednesday 15 February, when they will be away to Hampron & Richmond U18.

There is another full Sunday of Junior fixtures this weekend and here they are:

Ashford Sports Club - Club House 11-a-side Pitch

Martin U15s v Sandgate 10am

Simon U16s v Kew Park Rangers 11:30

Ashford Sports Club – Short Lane 11-a-side Pitch

Conor U16s v Woking Cougars 10am

Ben U16s v Ewell Saxons 11:30

Ashford Town 5 – 5 Pitch 1

Cass U8s v Whitton Wanderers 10am

Michael U7s v Wolves 11am

Bill U8s v Spelthorne 12pm

Ashford Town 5 – 5 Pitch 2

Neil U8s v Lyne 10am

Chris U8s v Moormead 11am

Steve U8s v Halliford 12pm

Ashford Town 7 – 7 Pitch

Matt U9s v Carshalton 10am

Rhys U9s v Hampton Rangers 11am

Ashford Town 9 – 9 Pitch

Kirk U11s v Rocks Lane 10am

Nelson U11s v Molesey 11:15am

Joe U11s v Farncombe 12:30pm

Away Games

Andy U9s v Staines Town

Ryan U9s v Rocks Lane

Matt U10s v Mayford

Graham U11s v Esher Wizards

Larry U13s v Old Coulsdon (Cup)

John U13s v Claygate

Paul U13s v Chipstead

Craig U14s v Hampton

Fin U14s v Ruislip (County Cup)

Fin’s Under-14’s are due to play their County Cup semi-final this week away to Ruislip, whilst Larry’s Under-13’s will travel to play Old Coulsdon Colts Blazers in their own semi-final in the Surrey Invitation Cup this Sunday, following a 1-0 win over Epsom & Ewell Colts in the quarter-final.

 The Ladies are away to Greenhouse Sports in a Greater London Women’s League fixture.