Beaconsfield SYCOB

Beaconsfield SYCOB 0

Ashford Town (Middlesex) 2

Evo-Stik League Southern, Division One Central
Holloways Park, Beaconsfield
8th December 2012

Ed Thomas's thirty-yard lob in the first minute propelled Ashford to a convincing 2-0 win over Beaconsfield SYCOB.

Substitute Perry Luckins sealed the victory with a late finish from ten yards. Luckins had only been on the field for three minutes as he cut inside and thrashed a shot past Jonathan Nydell in the Beaconsfield goal.

It was a difficult match on the eyes as Ashford's famous tangerine and white stripes clashed with Beaconsfield's red and white quartered shirts. Why the officials did not ask either side to play in an alternative kit is a pertinent question, as distinguishing the teams from one another was not easy.

Ashford continued the left-sided experiment that was effective against Daventry Town last weekend. Alex Duffy played at left-back, with Ed Thomas in midfield. Mark Bitmead was restored to the lineup and Joe Bennett partnered Kofi Lockhart-Adams in attack.

The repositioning of Duffy and Thomas worked wonders again as Ashford were utterly dominant down the left side. Beaconsfield's right-back and right-midfield picked up their side's only two bookings of the game, while Duffy put in a man of the match performance, nullifying any attacks by comfortably matching their winger for pace.

Bairoh Conteh was up against his physical match in Ryan Upward, but was technically superior and managed to get the better of the Beaconsfield striker when needed. The highlight of their duel was a tussle from which Conteh earned a free-kick having recovering excellently after Upward had turned the Ashford defender.

Two fierce tackles from Scott Weight set up a sustained period of pressure from which Ashford forced two corners. For much of the first half Ashford faced little pressure themselves, but were made to be resolute to make it to half-time with their lead preserved.

Harry Knock got his body in the way of a shot which lead to a corner that Kyle Merson punched to safety.

Ashford were denied a penalty in the last few minutes of the half as Mark Bitmead fired the ball from close range at Beaconsfield's Ashleigh James, but it may have been a case of ball-to-hand and the linesman showed leniency.

The second half played out in similar fashion. Ashford retained their solid defensive shape and limited Beaconsfield to half chances at best.

Luckins made certain of Ashford's three points when he wellied the ball in with Nydell rushing out to stop him.

Merson was made to punch away a dangerous corner and did well to parry and collect a shot from range, but Duffy's switch with Thomas had positive effects in both defence and attack. Thomas scored a spectacular opener and Duffy made an important goal-line headed clearance.

Minor tactical changes such as this have given Ashford two wins on the trot as they are looking to put together a strong December run. They will hope to keep it going with a winnable fixture on Tuesday at Barton Rovers.