Ashford Town (Middlesex) 0

St Ives Town

St Ives Town 1

Calor League, Division One Central
Robert Parker Stadium
24th August 201

On a soaking wet afternoon at the Robert Parker Stadium, Ashford welcomed unbeaten St Ives Town. There were chances at both ends throughout the match, with both goalkeepers being tested in the tricky conditions, in a match which had a frantic last few minutes.

Dan Bannister was the first to have a strike on target after ten minutes, hitting a powerful volley from an angle that Ashford keeper Paul McCarthy did well to get his hands to, and Karl Gibbs headed the rebound over while under pressure. Soon after, Jared Coniff fired narrowly wide, during a spell in which the visitors were well on top. Bannister was again involved on eighteen minutes, McCarthy denying the midfielder with a brilliant point blank save as he connected with a cross from the right by Dubi Ogbonna.

Ashford started to get into the game, and Mark Bitmead got on the end of a Terrell Lewis cross, but put the ball over under close attention from the defence. Samad Kazi was then foiled by visiting keeper Enol Ordonez, who also kept out Lewis soon after. Ashford were looking good in attack, and a rasping drive from Mark Bitmead brought a flying save from Ordonez, but there was no breakthrough as half time arrived. HT: Ashford Town 0 St Ives Town 0

The second half didn't really get going for a while, with only Samad Kazi's shot going just over registering in the attempts column. Javan Alexander came on for Mark Bitmead just before the hour, and he looked strong and quick, running at the opposition defence and challenging well in the air. He had a couple of tame efforts which didn't trouble Ordonez.

It wasn't until the last five minutes that the game resparked, with Stuart Cobb lashing a shot narrowly wide, before McCarthy pulled off a world class save to deny Coniff. His wasn't the only top save, though, as Ordonez flew to his left to tip Alexander's well placed header onto the post. From the rebound, the ball was crossed back in for Alexander, but his looping header dropped onto the roof of the net. 

With just two minutes left, Cobb broke through and lifted a shot over the onrushing McCarthy into the net to take the points for St Ives. The substitute could have doubled the lead, and his tally, but while his slotted shot beat McCarthy, it hit the post and bounced clear. Full time Ashford Town 0 St Ives 1

The defeat leaves Ashford in fourteenth place in the Calor Southern Central table ahead of Bank Holiday Monday's trip to fifth bottom Marlow.