A generally impressive display saw Ashford back on track on Tuesday evening as they defeated hosts Chertsey Town by four goals to nil.

Chertsey had won their previous two home league matches and Ashford were well aware that they were capable of making things difficult but the seeds of victory were sown after 15 minutes of early domination when Russell Canderton made no mistake as he was put in by Tommy Brunton.

Dan Fleming could have made it two quite soon afterwards but an excellent stop from the home keeper denied him.  At this stage though, Chertsey were far from a spent force and they made their presence felt for much of the remainder of the half, with ace marksman John Pomroy missing a golden opportunity to level things up.

It was a different story after the break though as Ashford now had the strong breeze behind them.  It took just eight minutes to double the lead as Fleming struck and when he followed that up with a second just six minutes later, it was effectively game over.

Chertsey mounted the occasional spasmodic attack but it was largely all Ashford and no great surprise when Alex Fisher made it four on 66 minutes.  There was no further scoring but Ashford had done enough and there was a double boost after the match when manager Ben Murray confirmed that leading scorer Mark Bitmead is over the troublesome injury incurred at Hartley Wintney and will be available for the match against Molesey on Saturday.

In a match of just one caution for a Chertsey player, referee Jallow impressed with his calm handling of the match.

Ashford have agreed to release Joe Hughes who has made 20 appearances this season, 10 as sub, but he has struggled to make the opening line-up in recent weeks, especially following the arrival of Phil Osuhor and understandably wants more regular football.  His stand out moment for the Club was undoubtedly the last minute winner he scored against Camberley earlier in the season and if he goes to another CCL club they will be picking up a fine player.