Following the pleasure of the win over Leatherhead in the Surrey Senior Cup on Wednesday, Ashford disappointed their supporters on Saturday by losing at home to Westfield by two goals to one, after conceding a stoppage time goal for the second Saturday in a row.

It is an easy excuse to site missing players but Ashford were particularly up against it yesterday with both their main strikers missing, with neither Dan Fleming nor Mark Bitmead having recovered from knocks sustained at Leatherhead. The pair have 42 goals between them this season but their absence left Ashford with only one recognised striker available in Phil Osuhor and he had been missing for some weeks and started on the bench.

On Wednesday in a similar situation, other players had made light of the missing pair but they were unable to repeat their heroics this time against a hard working Westfield side that went ahead on 57 minutes through Phil Moore following a goalless first half when neither keeper had been unduly troubled.

Ashford to their credit pushed hard for an equaliser and thought they had one only for referee Lewis to award a free kick for a foul on the keeper who did not look as if he had any chance of collecting the ball when he came out for a long cross.  The break through finally arrived on 86 minutes and it was started with the pass of the match from Mitchal Gough who swept the ball out to Ryan Dearden who crossed for the lively Samad Kazi to sweep home.  With four minutes to go plus quite a bit of stoppage time, Ashford went hell bent for a winner and with Westfield defending desperately it looked as if might well happen.  Just as in the previous week though, it was the visitors who broke Ashford hearts when Moore notched his second of the match deep in stoppage time.  To be fair it was a well crafted goal and a decent strike.

Two defeats in a row have seen Ashford drop to 4th place in the table and with the likes of Camberley, Molesey and Windsor showing no let up at the moment in their fine form, it will be tough now.  There is though still only a point or two in it and Ashford have still to play those three contenders, albeit away.  Things can change very quickly in football as Cove will confirm, as although they are still top, they also lost yesterday to the resurgent Badshot Lea, whilst a bizarre situation at Molesey saw visitors Frimley Green turn up but allegedly refuse to take the field after failing to muster up eleven players.

Ashford have another break from the League on Tuesday when they will entertain Fleet Town in the 3rd Round (Quarter Final) of the Aldershot Senior Cup at Short Lane, kick-off 7.45 p.m.  Fleet narrowly avoided relegation from the Southern League last season and find themselves four off the bottom again this campaign although the two bottom clubs, Bashley and Bishops Cleeve have only notched up 13 points between them, so the relegation positions look as good as settled.  Fleet are old friends and we look forward to welcoming them back to Short Lane.