Ashford’s match away to Molesey was postponed shortly before kick-off on Saturday following the arrival of the match referee Jonathan Blower.  The pitch was certainly very wet and although Molesey had followed the correct procedure it was a little bit of a surprise that an earlier inspection by local referee Darren Sheldrake had not come to the same conclusion although there are always differing opinions concerning the fitness or otherwise of pitches.The game will now be played on a midweek evening later in the season.  The postponement was not too unwelcome for Ashford with one or two players suffering knocks, now able to enjoy a further few days rest.

Attention now turns to Tuesday evening when Westfield are the visitors to Short Lane in the Quarter Final of the Surrey Senior Cup.  Westfield have been hampered in recent weeks with pitch problems of their own but they won at Ryman League Redhill in the previous round of the competition and last Saturday week they won at Windsor, 2-1, in the League, so they have been in generally good form when they have been able to play, although they did lose narrowly to Cove (2-3) after extra time in the League Cup last Tuesday.   Ashford will also be keenly aware that Westfield took all three points away from Short Lane quite recently, which balanced up Ashford’s win at Westfield at the start of the season.

Recent signing Bobby Dormer is ineligible and suspended but other than that, apart from one or two long-term injuries, Ashford should just about be at full strength and it could be a great game, which will go to extra time and penalties if required.  Kick-off is 7.45 p.m.

In the meantime, and apologies for the delay, we have a report from the Sunday side, which is doing really well this season under manager Gary Tomany.  Last week they beat Wayfarers by 2 goals to 1 and here is a brief report:

Ashford Town 2 Wayfarers 1

On a bright sunny Sunday morning, manager Gary Tomany led his Ashford Town Sunday team into action against a Wayfarers team that had won their last 3 games. Ashford started strongly moving the ball around nicely. There positive play was rewarded in the 11minute, when a quick taken corner found Bryan Kerr unmarked 6yards out and he smashed to ball into the middle of the goal. Ashford maintained the high tempo throughout the 1st half and would have wrapped up all 3 points, but for a Wayfarers goalkeeper on top form pulling off a number of impressive saves. Not to be outdone at the other end, Wayfarers looked to equalise when a cross turned shot seem to be looping over Keith smith in goal but somehow Smith shuffled back outstretched his left hand and tipped it over the bar.

Ashford went looking to make the game safe in the second half with the next goal, but were repeatedly kept at bay by the keeper.  Wayfarers improved after the break themselves and equalised with a fine finish to the bottom right corner. Their joy was short lived though as Ashford responded straight away. A free kick by Callum Makay, was pushed onto the post only for Ashford's centre back David Jones to drill the ball home for a deserved winner as the game ended 2-1.

This win kept Ashford 4 points clear at the top and in their next game this Sunday (today 15 Feb) they face a daunting away trip to AFC Feltham, whose only loss this season was 1-0 to Ashford back in November.