After Saturday’s away win, Ashford suffered a frustrating defeat on Tuesday evening by two goals to 1 away to Hanwell Town.  A number of regulars were on the missing list, no doubt for good reasons, but perhaps the player missed most was Max Webb presumably out after taking a knock on Saturday.

The opening goal was conceded before the match had really got going, when a inswinging corner was not dealt with by Ashford’s on loan keeper Marcin Brzozowski, leaving Hanwell’s  Charlie Mitchell to put his side ahead.

The match settled down and it was a largely even contest at that stage.  Kam English was starting to make his mark down the right flank though as the Tangerines started to press that bit harder to restore parity.  The next goal though was also scored by Hanwell.  A huge clearance looked a simple one for Will Boye to clear but the ball somehow went over his head and bounced nicely for Glen Yaya-Bloasie who will probably never hit a ball as cleanly again as his effort gave Brzozwski little chance as it flew into the top corner from distance.

It was frustrating as Ashford had hit the woodwork twice and seen another effort cleared from the line but it’s goals that matter and Ashford had it all to do in the second period.  The boys did their best but bad luck and continued wild shooting undid their efforts.  English gave us the most exciting moment when he dribbled through at pace from the hallway line only to see his effort beat the keeper and then go inches wide of the far post.

As all sides do Hanwell, especially their keeper, who had looked vulnerable in the first half, wasted time to an irritating degree and whilst referee Bodell added on six minutes of stoppage time, he did nothing about it at the time.  To be fair both sides maintained their discipline and there were no cautions in the match but why do officials not show a yellow card for the first bit of obvious time wasting and then it would stop for the rest of the game.

Ashford continued to press throughout the half but Bodell had found his form and the ball simply would not go in.  James Cottee, arguably Ashford’s best player on the night, finally broke the deadlock, glancing home a deft header from Tommy Brunton’s deep cross  on 88 minutes but it was too little too late.  Everyone was down at the end but that’s football and the opportunity to bounce back comes on Saturday when we will entertain one of the front runners in Cambridge City.

ENTRANCE TO THIS MATCH WILL BE FREE FOR ALL SPECTATORS , so please use your extra cash at the tea bar and/or by buying a book or two of Ashford’s Christmas Draw tickets (just £1 a book).  The draw will take place as soon as possible after the match.

Following Saturday’s game, we are at home again on Saturday 30 December when Moneyfields FC are the visitors for their first visit ever to Short Lane and then again on Tuesday 2 January when Marlow come to Short Lane.

Forthcoming Events

28 Apr 2018
03:00PM -
Evo-Stik League South v AFC Rushden & Diamonds (a)
10 May 2018
07:30PM -
Annual General Meeting
02 Jun 2018
11:00AM -
Junior Presentation Day and Evening
09 Jun 2018
09:00AM - 09:00PM
Junior Tournament