Perry LuckinsAnyone who thought that Leighton would just lay down, given their current off field problems, was in for a disappointment as the visitors, despite naming just two substitutes, looked well drilled in the opening stages, and played some attractive football.  Ashford were without a number of regulars but skipper Russell Canderton returned from suspension and Mario Quiassaca, signed on dual registration from Staines Town, made his debut up front.

It did not take too long though before Ashford were very much in the match and creating chances.  For a long time though it looked as if it might be one of those days as no-one was able to apply the finishing touch in the opening half, even though Ashford were steadily piling on the pressure.  Shortly before the break, Leighton did not help their cause by having their skipper sent off, for the second week in a row we understand, this time for a retaliatory kick to the face of Jim Mann, after a hard tackle between the two.

The score remained goalless at half-time but Ashford were rocked just four minutes into the second period when a careless ball from Canderton resulted in an unnecessary corner from which Leighton took the lead.  There was some doubt as to who got the final touch with some thinking it was Canderton compounding his error but in the end the goal was credited to Leighton’s Mark Burfoot.

The goal was perhaps the wake up call that Ashford needed and it was Perry Luckins (pictured), enjoying  another solid match, who equalised with a fierce effort on the swivel from the edge of the penalty area.  In a rare foray, Leighton hit the post soon afterwards but it did not take too long for Ashford to complete the reversal by going ahead.  A corner from Luckins saw the visitors’ defence in disarray and it was again hard to see who got the final touch.  Despite his efforts to claim it, it wasn’t Mr. Luckins and may well have been an o.g. but Kofi Lockhart-Adams was certainly making a nuisance of himself in the vicinity and the goal was credited to him.

Ashford were now bossing the match and secured an ultimately comfortable win with the third goal, again a fine effort, this time from debutant Quiassaca who thus crowned a promising debut.

Ashford have now taken sixteen points from the eighteen on offer in their last six league games and are up to eighth in the table.  They now make the short trip to Hanworth Villa on Tuesday in the Middlesex Charity Cup before travelling to Fleet Town next Saturday.

UPDATE - Clapham United 2 v 2 Ashford Town Ladies - The Ladies were back in action this afternoon, travelling to Clapham United who shared the spoils at The RPS back in September. Town opened the scoring when new mum Karrin French-Wollen went through on goal and sent a smart lob over the home keeper. Clapham capitalised on an error at the back to level proceedings before half-time.  The home side enjoyed the better of the second 45 and took the lead through a long-range free kick that beat Hannah Smith in Town's goal. With time running out the ball was played out to Tash Ladder who raced down the left flank, cut inside her marker and fired home to make it 2-2.