UxbridgePaul Burgess rotated his squad for Thursday’s match at Uxbridge, making five changes to the starting line-up from that at North Greenford two days earlier.  He was rewarded with a lively performance that almost brought another three points, with Uxbridge needing an equaliser two minutes from time to ensure that the points were shared.

In truth it was a decent match with both sides giving their all despite the fact that both are solidly in mid table with little else to play for but pride.  Ashford were rewarded just before the half-hour mark when Matt Baxter was out through.  He had plenty to do still but did it in style, beating the keeper before slipping the ball home.

It took though just six minutes for Uxbridge to equalise from a controversial free kick just outside the area, awarded by the female referee, who is apparently one of the top officials in European Women's football.

Ashford were still playing well though and had the opportunity to go back in front when Mark Bitmead was brought down in the area.  As is customary, he took the penalty himself and hit it hard enough but Uxbridge keeper Matt Elston-Bull was equal to it and turned it aside.  Javonne Malloy, making his first start for the club, was the next one to suffer at the keeper’s hands when a shot that looked a goal all the way was somehow kept out by the custodian with another superb save.

The second half saw both sides attacking, as both keepers were kept busy.  There could have been goals at both ends and Ms. Ihringova did not endear herself to the Ashford support when she refused a second penalty for a handball that certainly looked a very good shout.  With ten minutes left though Ashford made what looked like the vital breakthrough when Samad Kazi did superbly well down the left flank, bringing yet another marvellous save from the keeper only for the loose ball to be eagerly snapped up by sub Pietro Palladino, who rolled in his third goal in two evenings.

Uxbridge though went on the attack serving up several high crosses. Ashford seemed to be coping but with just two minutes on the clock, the pressure told resulting in Uxbridge’s second equaliser.

There could have been many more goals on the night and overall the result was probably the fairest one.  There were no cautions for either side and overall the referee played her part in an enjoyable match.

The pace of matches is relentless at the moment, even though Ashford seem to be thriving on it.  Up next is Saturday’s match at home to Woodford United who are adrift at the bottom of the League.  They gave us a hard enough match at their own ground much earlier in the season though and will receive every respect as Ashford look to get more points on the board.

The Suburban team were also in action on Thursday evening, entertaining Farnborough in the quarter-final of the Reserve Challenge Shield.  After going through the qualifying stages without losing any of their six matches, it was disappointing to lose by the only goal of the game scored right at the death.  The Suburban side are back to league action on Saturday with a trip to Royston Town