Staines TownOn what must have been the coldest April day/evening that anyone can remember, Ashford lost by two goals to nil in the Middlesex Senior Cup Final against Staines Town on Easter Monday evening.

The defeat was not for the lack of effort, with Ashford the dominant side in the opening twenty minutes or so but they found the Staines keeper a hard nut to crack.  Matt Baxter in the starting eleven at the last moment after Pietro Palladino broke down in the warm up, was a constant menace, linking up well with Kofi Lockhart-Adams to give the Staines defence something of a torrid time.  After being denied a clear penalty when a defender handled quite blatantly in the area, the inevitable happened and Staines took the lead, a break down the right leading to a decisive cross and a firm header giving Paul McCarthy no chance.

After that, Staines sometimes showed the additional class that might be expected of a team playing at their level but Ashford were never out of it, forcing several impressive saves by the impressive Turner in goal.  The match was effectively settled when Staines added their second goal from the spot after Bairoh Conten was adjudged to have fouled his man.  After that, although Ashford strained every sinew, especially Scott Weight in midfield, Staines did not really look like relinquishing their grip on the match, and so it proved, so well done to our friends and neighbours.  Let’s look forward to another Spelthorne Final next season!

On a freezing night, well done also to everyone who turned out, with a special thank you to all our juniors and their parents.  The Under-12’s did us proud in the half-time penalty competition beating their Staines counterparts in the half-time penalty competition by two goals to one.

Don’t forget that we have another match this week, on Thursday evening, when we entertain Thatcham Town in a League match, kick-off 7.45 p.m.  It would be great if all the supporters who turned out on Monday could also get along to support the team on Thursday.