Tring Athletic ResAshford’s Suburban side were only able to draw at home to Tring Athletic Reserves on Monday evening with neither side able to break the deadlock and score a goal.

Following a fairly even start, Ashford had begun to assert themselves but the match then hinged upon five minutes of poor discipline which culminated in the dismissal of Nathan Cooper, following two yellows in quick succession.  The problem started when the referee failed to realise that the Tring keeper had quite blatantly picked up a back pass.  He was effectively over ruled by his assistant, who fortunately was alert to the situation.  If, at that point the referee had cheerfully acknowledged his mistake, doubtless everyone would have just got on with things but he didn’t really do that and despite the correct decision in the end, it seemed to effect the match and Ashford in particular.  Soon afterwards Cooper received two yellows in rapid succession and Ashford were down to ten men.

Tring were never good enough to take advantage and Ashford more or less dominated possession throughout the remainder of the match, despite being a man down.  One or two excellent chances were missed but despite the possession, the Tring defence stood firm and the visiting keeper was never really tested as the match fizzled out rather disappointingly.

There was better news after the game with the news that rivals Leighton Town had lost by a solitary goal at Barton, leaving Ashford to go to the top of the table, with both a one point and a one match advantage over Leighton. The other contenders, Royston Town are now two points behind Ashford but with a match in hand.  Royston’s final three matches are away to Newport Pagnell and at home to Dunstable Town and Leverstock Green.  Leighton’s one remaining match is at home to Bedfont Sports this coming Saturday.

Ashford next play at home to Newport Pagnell next Monday and then entertain Dunstable Town on Thursday 2 May.

On to this evening with the 1st Team playing away at Fleet Town, kick-off 7.45 p.m.