Egham Town

In a hastily re-arranged match, the Under-18’s are now at home this evening (Monday) to Bedfont Sports, kick-off 7.45 p.m.

Well it was another defeat on Saturday at Egham Town in the FA Trophy but Ashford’s new squad is showing signs of settling down and the performance was their best to date as they fought back to level the match at two goals apiece, only for Egham to notch the winner five minutes from time.

A big boost for Ashford was the return of Perry Luckins to the starting line-up.  Other changes saw Qaseem Sotanwa moved to left back from central defence and he enjoyed his best match in Ashford colours.  Paul McCarthy returned in goal despite an excellent performance by Tyler Tobin in midweek, whilst continuing up front were Kofi Lockhart-Adams and Joe Hughes.  Cyril Ocansey, recently released by Staines, was on the bench.

Both teams started brightly but it was Egham who took the lead.  How firstly Lockhart-Adams and then Hughes failed to equalise with the goal gaping soon afterwards, only they know and the writing looked on the wall shortly before half-time when the home side scored again.  Overall though, Ashford did not deserve to be two down at the break and came out fighting at the start of the second half.  Within two minutes Joe Hughes had halved the arrears with a blistering effort and a master substitution by Paul Burgess saw Cyril Ocansey scoring with almost his first touch, although home keeper Thomas should have done better.

Two apiece with all to play for and either side could have clinched it in a generally well contested match.  Sadly for the Tangerines, with just over five minutes to play referee Bodell awarded a harsh free kick against Chris Robinson and the resulting shot went in at the near post with McCarthy unable to get across.

Ashford are having to re-build at the wrong time of the year and this new squad will take time to settle but there were some very encouraging signs on Saturday, despite the loss, and it was good to see the Ashford supporters clapping the players off at the end of the game.

Ashford now go on to entertain Beaconsfield SYCOB in the League on Tuesday evening, kick-off 7.45 p.m. at Short Lane.  They also went out of the Trophy on Saturday

We wish Egham all the best in competition as they go on to play either Didcot Town or Cirencester, who drew on Saturday in the next round.

Mark Tobin has agreed to take up the vacant post of Press Secretary for the Club so hopefully this summary  will be backed up with a full report of the match in due course. (now on line- see match reports)


We have now arranged to travel to Uxbridge on Saturday 19 October in the League rather than in midweek, to avoid a blank Saturday.

Forthcoming Events

28 Apr 2018
03:00PM -
Evo-Stik League South v AFC Rushden & Diamonds (a)
10 May 2018
07:30PM -
Annual General Meeting
02 Jun 2018
11:00AM -
Junior Presentation Day and Evening
09 Jun 2018
09:00AM - 09:00PM
Junior Tournament