Surrey FA CrestAshford broke their losing sequence on Wednesday evening with a 2-1 victory at CCL side Colliers Wood United in the Surrey Senior Cup and will now visit Merstham FC  in the 2nd Round of the competition.  There was further good news with the return of Jack Mullan from the broken leg he suffered against Burnham last season.  Jack took his place at centre-half, partnering skipper Russell Canderton and it was as if he had never been away.  Scott Weight also returned from both injury and suspension.  Joe Lynch had a rest, as did Jamie Connor and Jim Mann, whilst keeper Tyler Tobin was not risked, even on the bench, as he will be needed on Saturday for the trip to Rugby.

In the first ever match between the sides, Ashford made a bright start with Cyril Ocansey particularly prominent down the right flank, his pace causing several problems.  The home side, possibly in a false position in their League, also had some bright moments but it was Ashford who eventually drew first blood.  A low cross from Ocansey was deftly dummied by Kofi Lockhart-Adams leaving Robbie Sitch to stabb home his first goal for the senior side just four minutes before the break.  Ashford felt they should also have had a penalty when Lockhart-Adams had his legs swept away for what looked a clear foul but it was turned down by referee Creswick, whose use of the advantage rule had also been a little questionable at times.

On a good surface, the match went from end to end during the second period and Ashford were indebted to McCarthy on a number of occasions.  Both Perry Luckins and Scott Weight had gone off at half-time as a precaution, with Harry Roberts and Adam Willis providing the replacements.  Tom Brunton came into prominence for the visitors though and one mazy run only just failed to double the lead.  By the last twenty it seemed that Ashford had weathered any storms that the home side could conjure up but out of the blue the Woods’ number 10, Daniel Hughes unleashed an unstoppable shot to put the sides level on 74 minutes.  They also had a chance to go ahead when they were awarded a penalty for a foul by Harry Driver, but McCarthy was quickly down to his left to save the effort.

The match was finally settled in the 90th minute when the final substitute Mark Gallagher, on for Joe Hughes, found himself through on goal and calmly slipped it past Michael Lacott in the home goal to give Ashford a very welcome victory after a torrid time in recent weeks.

Forthcoming Events

26 Mar 2018
07:45PM -
Bostik Youth League v Northwood (H)
31 Mar 2018
03:00PM -
Evo-Stik League South v Uxbridge (H)
02 Apr 2018
03:00PM -
Evo-Stik League South v Moneyfields (a)
04 Apr 2018
07:45PM -
Bostik Youth League v Wealdstone (a)
07 Apr 2018
03:00PM -
Evo-Stik League South v Chalfont St Peter (H)
11 Apr 2018
07:45PM -
Bostik Youth League v Hendon (a)
14 Apr 2018
03:00PM -
Evo-Stik League South v Marlow (a)
15 Apr 2018
10:30AM -
British Airways Vets v Bedfont Sunday Vets
16 Apr 2018
07:45PM -
Bostik Youth League v Staines Town (H)
21 Apr 2018
03:00PM -
Evo-Stik League South v Hartley Wintney (H)
22 Apr 2018
10:30AM - 05:00PM
Middlesex FA Sunday Intermediate Cup Final
28 Apr 2018
03:00PM -
Evo-Stik League South v AFC Rushden & Diamonds (a)
10 May 2018
07:30PM -
Annual General Meeting
02 Jun 2018
11:00AM -
Junior Presentation Day and Evening
09 Jun 2018
09:00AM - 09:00PM
Junior Tournament