Chalfont St. Peter

A positive performance but again, one that brought no points, was Ashford’s fate on Saturday against Chalfont St. Peter, who fielded two ex-Ashford players in Terrell Lewis and Davis Haule.

Ben Murray again tinkered with his personnel, bringing Conor Moody into the squad, and restoring quietly effective left back Joel Jacobs, ineligible for the County Cup match against Merstham, to the side, along with Mitchell Fountain.  Harry Driver was missing, serving a one match suspension.  There were no new players but there is every possibility of the squad being strengthened before next Saturday.

The first half was relatively even but Ashford conceded midway through, the manner of the goal leaving Murray apoplectic with rage, as a routine cross found a Chalfont forward completely unmarked at the far post with the simple task of nodding the ball home.  This came soon after Adam Turner, toiling away manfully up front on his own after Perry Luckins had gone off injured, had missed the opportunity of putting Ashford ahead when, having decisively gone round the keeper, he rolled the ball, admittedly from a tightish angle on to the post and away, instead of finding the empty net.

Undaunted Ashford went about their business in the second half and were generally well on top but the equaliser just would not come, despite any number of good chances, the clearest one coming right at the end when Scott Weight blazed over from close range.  A loud penalty appeal for handball was correctly turned down by referee Gillett, although two minutes later he did give Ashford a free kick for an identical handball but this time deep in their own half.  Overall though, the referee was excellent.  Chalfont were always in the game but in terms of possession, the least Ashford deserved was a point, possibly all three, and it was good to see those loyal supporters in attendance clapping the team off at the end.  There is no doubt that such loyalty is appreciated by the players who may not have the quality of some of our teams in the past but are showing 100% endeavour.

Ashford now face the unusual situation of having to field three teams on Monday evening, with the 1st Team obliged to travel half way round the M25 to play Enfield Town in the Middlesex Senior Cup.  It is an oft repeated complaint that invariably falls on deaf ears but perhaps one day Middlesex County will see the logic of making the early rounds of this cup regional.  We do enough travelling in the League without needing difficult journeys like this on a Monday evening but so be it.

On the same evening, the Suburban side will entertain Cobham Reserves in a league match, kick-off 7.45 p.m., whilst the Under-18’s travel to play Aldershot Town at Godalming Town’s ground.  The Under-18’s finally broke their duck last week with a 2-2 draw away to Northwood, so well done to them, as they continue a learning process which will hopefully be valuable experience for them.