A fantastic second half performance saw us overturn a 0-1 half time deficit to runaway 3-1 winners against Enfield Town in the Middlesex Senior Cup on Monday evening.

This was an interesting game on paper, as both sides have had a confidence sapping run of results in the past few months and with Enfield deciding to mix their first team players with a few of their undefeated under 21 side after the weekend’s game, it was to be a game where both teams would need to attack.

After Saturday’s game and a gruelling trek around the M25 on a Monday night, Ashford themselves arrived with a few changes to their squad after the defeat to Chalfont. Conor Moody started in central midfield with Scott Weight and Jack Beadle was given a start on the wing, Adam Turner was partnered up top with Cyril Ocansey, while Harry Driver was restored to right back and Jack Mullan moved into centre back with Russell Canderton. Jacob Fuller was also handed his first senior cap in goal.

After a lacklustre first half hour of the game, it was Enfield who were on top, neatly playing some nice passing football on the lovely playing surface. Ashford though were also creating chances of their own and as they picked up the tempo of the game, it was Enfield who found the gap and slotted the ball through to their forward who finished extremely well, leaving Fuller with no chance in the Ashford goal.

As mentioned, Ashford though were creating chances and had a number of opportunities in the first half, but with the ball often breaking down in the final third without really troubling the home keeper.

The second half saw a completely different game, with Ashford pressuring Enfield in their own half and it paid dividends. Ashford were then the dominant team in possession and it led to the Enfield defenders getting deeper and deeper, which enabled Ashford to win themselves a penalty when Harry Driver was brought down in the box. Adam Turner slotted the ball away coolly to put the teams level.

Ashford were now in the ascendency and were often going forward and pushing on as the stronger side. Cyril Ocansey was put through on goal, and with a defender hassling him, he superbly lifted the ball around and over the goalkeeper to give Ashford the lead.

The final goal of the evening was scored from a set piece corner and with a number of Ashford players able to put pressure on the Enfield keeper he spilled the initial corner and the ball was rocketed into the net by Adam Turner.

It capped off a well-earned, long awaited and deserved victory and it was plain to see with the reaction of the Ashford players after the final whistle, how much the result meant.

Ashford will now entertain either Harefield United or Hayes & Yeading in the quarter finals on Tuesday 11 February.