This evening’s match at home to Daventry Town has been postponed, following an inspection by local referee Reuben Simon this morning.  The pitch is still very wet but it was touch and go.  Given the distance our opponents have to travel and the forecast for heavy rain later, the match referee decided that that it would be better to err on the side of caution.

The club will be open this evening though for the big match on BT between Liverpool and Everton and we have our latest real ale available, namely Theakstons Hogshead Bitter

Following Saturday’s postponement at Kettering, Ashford hope to get Tuesday evening’s 1st Team match at home to Daventry Town on.  It will be touch and go though as the pitch is extremely wet and was extensively be-puddled yesterday. 

Daventry are, of course, one of this season’s front runners and it was the Midland side who dealt the first of many blows to Ashford this season in the opening match of the season, when they won by five goals to two.  It was a scoreline that didn’t really tell the whole story.  All credit to Daventry for the way they stormed back with ten men but things had looked very different at one point with Ashford having pulled back a two goal deficit to level the scores and had then seen a Daventry man sent off with little more than fifteen minutes left.

A goal was immediately conceded though from a corner kick to give Daventry the lead and with ten men they scored twice more in stoppage time.  It is fanciful but one wonders if Ashford had gone on to win that game whether or not they would have had such a terrible and unexpected season.

It’s water under the bridge now and we know the side we have now will continue to give of their best.  Against strong opponents, who nevertheless lost at Beaconsfield SYCOB on Saturday, and drew at home to Marlow the week before, nothing less than 100% will be required if Ashford are going to break the worst losing sequence in their history.

There is due to be a reserve match at home to Uxbridge Res this evening but that is unlikely to go ahead given the state of the pitch.  There will be a formal inspection at 4.00 pm and information will be circulated as soon as possible after that.