Another extremely hard fought point at Northwood on Tuesday evening enabled Ashford to climb off the bottom position in the Division.

Northwood were in determined mood for most of the match and if one word could be used to describe Ashford’s defence, it might be “beleaguered” such was the pressure on the visiting goal at times.  Equally suitable words though would be “determined” or  even “inspired” such was the will though to keep the home side at bay.  It was not all one way, of course, and right at the death Elliott Jones will be kicking himself after spurning the opportunity to put the ball into an absolutely empty net, having left the keeper on the ground.  There will be no criticism of such an improved player though, as he had run some 40 yards with the ball and got himself in the clear but sadly it took a little bobble as he went to steer it home and it flashed past the wrong side of the post.

Northwood looked an excellent side going forward but not as comfortable at the back and Ashford, with Conor Moody and James Awofisan up front always looked dangerous on the break.  Ashford were only able to use the pace of the returning Samad Kazi sparingly but with just over ten minutes left, it was Awofisan who broke the deadlock, firstly shooting and then falling over as he tried to net the rebound.  He was quickly up though and scored the vital goal to give Ashford a real hope of all three points, especially with sub Rhys Price also looking lively up front.

It was not to be as skipper Russell Canderton conceded a free kick some ten yards out of the area and it was slammed home for the equaliser five minutes later.  Northwood pressed hard again and missed an easy chance but they left gaps at the back and Ashford missed their own opportunities, not least the one by Jones.

Referee Whittaker seemed intent upon punishing every little indiscretion but it didn’t matter in the end as the final whistle went with Ashford by far the more pleased of the two sides.  On now to the next match, away to Chalfont St. Peter on Saturday. 

Thursday’s U18 match has been postponed as Potters Bar have a cup match.