On a wet afternoon in Hertford Town the Tangerines finally grabbed their first win of the season in an 8 goal thriller.

It’s been getting closer with each game recently, and at last Ashford’s season duck is broken. Right from the kick-off the visitors looked dangerous in attack with Kelvin Adjei’s pace running the Hertford defence ragged, with a number of attacks in the first few minutes. The breakthrough came as early as the 10th minute when the hard working Adjei grabbed the first goal, great reward for their pressure and attacking play. From then on they continued to dominate, looking to get the ball in behind the defence using the attacking pace to keep the momentum. The home side did get a break in the 13th minute when they countered and got a good shot in on goal which just went wide of the far left-hand post. Ashford continued to push on though and doubled their lead on 19 minutes through Dan Brown, who’s low shot from the edge of the box beat the keeper after a great assist from Kelvin Adjei. The home side responded well to going two down though and looked to get forward themselves and back in to the game, and during a spell of end to end moves both sides looked like they could potentially score on each attack. It was the hosts that netted the next goal. Another good forward move ended with a great low shot that just hit the right hand post rebounding out to Luke Theo Gymer who slotted home to make it 1-2.

The Tangerines seemed to lose a bit of their momentum after this, they stopped playing as they had been and Hertford gradually got back in to the game. Both sides then had the ball in the back of the net again during more end to end play. Hafid Benyoufe finished superbly after a great Ashford move but the goal was ruled out for offside during the build up, and then Hertford also had one ruled out for offside. The home side made a change on 36 minutes, and with Ashford not pressing as much as they had grabbed the equaliser in the 38th minute. Samuel Oueniran slotting home after a scrap in the Ashford area. The visitors responded superbly though getting straight back with a third goal on 40 minutes. Great play from Sam Humphreys spotting the run from Tommy Brunton and laying it on for him to finish low and hard in to the bottom corner. Again the action shifted from end to end and it looked there were definitely more goals to come. Hertford came the closest in the final minutes of the half when the broke down the left wing again, the glancing shot from the low cross just went wide of the far post though. With everything that had gone on it could well have been 4 or 5 all at half-time!

Hertford came out looking for a way back in after the break, and again both sides were looking to get forward at every opportunity. It was the hosts that struck next though, levelling the game again in the 54th minute with another goal from Samuel Oueniran. Unfortunately it was a mistake by Sam Mason on a through ball that saw the ball squirm through for Oueniran to just pass in to the empty goal. An air of familiarity was falling over the game for Ashford after having been ahead twice. All credit to the team though as they again lifted themselves looking to get straight back at Hertford. Kelvin Adjei’s pace, running at and in behind the defence, continued to cause lots of problems and it was only a matter of minutes before Ashford were ahead again. Adjei himself grabbing a second on the goal-line after a fantastic chip/shot from Sam Humphreys, making sure the ball was forced home in the 59th minute.

From here on Ashford really pressed the play creating more chances to extend their lead. Tommy Brunton came very close on 69 minutes with a rocket of a left foot shot just inside the box but the keeper saved well, tipping over for a corner. Four became five in the 73rd minute when a great move down right by Kelvin Adjei saw his low cross smashed home from close range by Dan Brown. It could have been six a few minutes later when Hafid Benyoufe played in Dan Brown again but his shot was saved well. The final whistle was very welcome after five minutes of added time, and with that win finally in the bag it was a very buoyant Ashford side that left the pitch. An extremely productive afternoon for the team, in particular the two strikers with both scoring two and linking up well throughout. Onwards and upwards as the games now come thick and fast over the next month.