Ashford duly completed the double over their Bedfordshire visitors although there wasn’t much in it by the end, with the visitors clearly keen to restore some lost pride, following their heavy defeat last Tuesday (0-6) at the hands of Bedford Town.

The vital and only goal of the match arrived on the stroke of half-time and it was a good one.  Tom Howard took possession some ten yards outside the area and dribbled sideways in an attempt to find an opening and that was exactly what he did as his fiercely struck effort gave the visiting keeper no chance.

The general view at half-time was that the lead was deserved as Ashford had generally played the better football but the points were by no means in the bag as Barton belied their lowly position in the table, showing considerable determination.

The second half was largely end to end stuff with defences on top,  Ashford fathomed a number of chances though, all of which went begging, with no-one having their shooting boots on.  Barton had rarely looked dangerous but this changed to an extent as the match wore on.  Tyler Tobin was supreme in goal for the Tangerines, and when he was beaten for once, Romario Jonas was on hand to clear off the line.  Another one handed save from Tobin right at the death ensured the points for the Tangerines.  Some fairly eccentric refereeing added to the enjoyment of the afternoon and  in the end Ashford were glad enough of both the clean sheet, the win and the three point haul which takes their total to 50 with seven matches left to play.  Nine points are now required from seven matches to equal last season’s performance.

The usual vote took place for the Hitchcock & King “Ashford Man of the Match” and this was won hands down by Mitchal Gough who was generally supreme at the back for Ashford.

Next up for the 1st Team is another home match next Saturday when the visitors will be Uxbridge FC.   Before that, the Under-18’s are at home this evening (Monday) in the Ryman Youth League to Northwood, kick-off 7.45 p.m.