It’s back to the League on Saturday with the Tangerines travelling to Northwood FC for the first meeting of the season.

Once again we will be facing opponents currently without a permanent manager following the unexpected departure of Dean Barker earlier in the week who had only joined in the close season. Northwood are, of course, familiar opponents and we have played each other in 23 previous competitive matches, the first being in August 1990, when we won a Middlesex Charity Cup match on penalties after a 1-1 draw. Although it is of no relevance tomorrow we have actually been in four different penalty shoot outs with Northwood over the years and, let it be whispered, we have won them all, which is an unusual statistic.

Currently there are just five points separating the 6th placed side with the 15th and both Ashford and Northwood are in that mid table pack, both with 14 points, although Ashford have a match in hand, that against FC Romania and we are still waiting to hear back from them whether or not they will accept our suggestion of Tuesday 13 November. Anyway it all points to a close match on Saturday and so tight is the League that we could go as high as 6th were we to win.

The address of the ground is: Northwood Park, Cheshunt Avenue, Northwood, Middlesex HA6 1HR and entrance for adults is £8.

For anyone not travelling to Northwood, our partners Southall have an attractive 2nd Round home FA Vase tie against Chatham Town, kicking off at 3.00 p.m.
Following the midweek victory over Horley Town by 4 goals to 1 on Tuesday in the Specsavers Surrey Senior Cup, our reward is a home tie against Chipstead in the next round, date to be arranged. The disappointment of sustaining last week’s undeserved loss against Lewes last week in the Trophy was only heightened by the news that they have been drawn at home to Merthyr Town in the next round, certainly a match we would have liked to be staging.

As it is, our next senior match after today is at home next Saturday to Waltham Forest, kick-off 3.00 p.m.

Our Ladies side did the club proud on Thursday evening, eventually beating Whyteleafe Ladies, who play one level higher by 4 goals to 2, in the Isthmian Women’s Cup. It was a very physical match for a Ladies’ game and referee Lucy Clark was kept busy, issuing a number of yellow cards. The damage though was done early on as goals from Laura Huse and Alissa Down in the opening five
minutes gave us what turned out to be an unassailable lead, Holly Isaacs then made if three just before half-time. Whyteleafe pulled one back in the second half and Ashford had to withstand a period of sustained pressure. They came through it though and when Ashley Cheatley made it four close to the end, it looked home and dry. A poor clearance though presented Whyteleafe with another goal and despite the two goal margin, Ashford were more than pleased to hear the final whistle after a marathon ten minutes of stoppage time.

The Ladies are at home yet again (six in a row now!) on Sunday when Hackney Women will be the opposition in a league match, kicking off at 2.00 p.m.