A chaotic first half performance saw Ashford hand the initiative to Northwood on Saturday, the eventual conclusion being a 0-3 defeat at the hands of our Middlesex neighbours.
Managerless Northwood clearly felt they had something to prove and two goals in the opening 17 minutes gave them a start from which the Tangerines were unable to recover. Frankly they were both poor goals to concede from a defensive point of view, one coming from a needlessly conceded free kick and the other from a failure to clear the ball leaving the Northwood player to shoot home unchallenged.

The second half saw Ashford looking more determined but all hopes were effectively dashed when the home side made it three soon after the resumption. It was not until the last half hour that Ashford finally showed up and on another day they might even have rescued the situation, with two efforts hitting the woodwork, an open goal being missed and another “goal” ruled out by what must have been a close call. Generally though the home side knew they had the match won, managing the situation without undue difficulty and frankly Ashford did not deserve anything from it.
It was bewildering and disappointing for Ashford supporters who had travelled in reasonable numbers and following the excellent performances recently against Heybridge, Westfield and Horley the ineptitude in the first half was difficult to understand.

There is now no game this coming midweek, so the next match is on Saturday when we will entertain Waltham Forest, who have been one of the front runners this season. It is also now confirmed that we will then be entertaining AC Romania on Tuesday 13 November, this being the match that had to be postponed due to our FA Trophy game against Lewes. The next match in the Surrey Senior Cup, at home to Chipstead, has been arranged for Tuesday 11 December.

The reward for the Ladies following their hard fought win over Whyteleafe in the Isthmian Women’s Cup is another home tie, this time against Margate Ladies about whom we know nothing. Despite a number of injuries sustained in the Whyteleafe match, nothing seems to stop our ladies though and without playing at their best they pulled off a 5-1 victory on Sunday afternoon against Hackney Ladies to remain at the top of the Premier Division of the Greater London Women’s League.