Ashford Town (Middlesex)




after extra time.  Score at 90 mins: 1-1. 
Hendon won 9-8 on penalties.

Hendon FC

FA Cup, sponsored by E.ON, Third Qualifying Round Replay,
Short Lane Stadium
13th October 2009

Ashford went out of this season’s FA Cup following a penalty shoot-out as the teams were deadlocked on two goals apiece after 240 minutes of football. The home team had battled back from a goal down to equalise and then go ahead only to be punished for giving away a cheap free kick from which Glenn Garner hammered the ball into the top of the net.

After a good start, in which Ashford hit the post courtesy of a Byron Harrison header from a Tommy Williams free kick, Hendon had a long period of domination where, at times, Ashford had trouble clearing their lines, with a good percentage of the Hendon moves coming from Lubo Guentchev and Danny Dyer on the right. During this period a tremendous cross field pass from Craig Vargas found Dyer and his cross bounced around the Ashford area before being cleared.

Hendon didn’t have it all their own way though, Vinnie O’Sullivan collected a square ball from Billy Jeffreys and set off on a run that took him deep into the visitors half before finding Paul Johnson with a simple pass inside. The Ashford skipper’s low cross though was missed by all.

Hendon’s superior possession and movement was rewarded in the 24th minute when Lewis Ochoa latched on to a cross from the right and shot past Craig Ross and just inside the keeper’s right hand post to open the scoring.

Ashford, once again, fell foul of referee Quelch, who, as at Hendon on Saturday, failed to have the courage to penalise any wrong-doings in either penalty area. This time, Byron Harrison was through on goal with only James Reading to beat when he was hacked down from behind. Quelch, to the amazement of all in the ground, waved play on.

The second half was more even and after Wayne O’Sullivan had fired just over Ross’ bar, the home side equalised. A foul on Brian Haule by James Parker, which earned him a caution, was taken left footed by Johnson who curled the ball into the back of the net from 25 yards .

Ten minutes later Hendon went down to ten men when Wayne O’Sullivan was dismissed for the use of an elbow.

Ashford went so close to taking the lead when, on 80 minutes, Hone Fowler intercepted a pass and fed the ball into Brian Haule whose shot cannoned vertically skyward off the Hendon bar, then bounced off the top of the bar again, to safety.

Extra time beckoned as both teams received instruction from their managers but it was the hosts that struck first, Russ Canderton hit a great ball over the top of the Hendon defence that Harrison ran on to, but his lob cleared Reading and the bar then, six minutes into extra time, Tommy Williams found Fowler on the left and the New Zealander’s cross was inch perfect onto the head of Harrison who gave Reading no chance from close range to give his side the lead.

Ashford’s lead lasted until the last minute of extra time when they gave away a free kick some thirty yards from goal, which was reduced to 25 when the referee’s back was turned, Glenn Garner stepped up and shot through the wall and into the top corner of Ross’ net to take the game to penalties.

After both teams had successfully scored the first sequence of five it came down to sudden death where Hendon prevailed to face Woking in the 4th Qualifying Round.