Tue 16 Oct 18: Westfield 2 Ashford 3 FA Trophy Replay

Published by Springett on

Following Saturday’s rather drab nil-nil draw in the FA Trophy, both Westfield and Ashford contrived to put up a far better show on Tuesday evening when Ashford won the closest of contests by three goals to two, thus setting up a home tie against Lewes FC in the next round.

Ashford found themselves on the back foot at first just as they had in the first match, with Aaron Watson particularly taking the eye in the opening minutes for the home side. The Tangerines soon came into the game though and took the lead on 16 minutes, a crisp shot from Bradley Wilson finding the back of the net after Tom Brunton’s initial effort was saved.
Kofi Lockhart-Adams then made it two just eight minutes into the second period and it was something if an individual effort as he weaved his way though.
However, the two goal lead was short lived as a fierce cross seemed to come off the chest of Watson and rebound into goal. If he meant it, it was a great goal, if he didn’t , it was a fluke but Westfield weren’t concerned about that and the goal spurred them on as Ashford found themselves resisting heavy pressure. An equaliser looked inevitable when a penalty was awarded for a trip but Watson blasted the ball against the cross bar and to safety.

It did not stop the home side pushing forward and continuing to attack with gusto but Ashford managed to resist all attempts and then, as the gaps were appearing, it was Lockhart-Adams with a similar goal to his first which seemingly made the match safe at 3-1.

Westfield were undaunted even though the writing was on the wall with just 8 minutes plus stoppage left on the clock. They did manage the last word though when referee Matthieson awarded a second penalty, this time scored to make it 3-2 but the final whistle went before there was time to kick off again.

The two clubs meet for the third time in eight days on Saturday, at Short Lane, this time in a league encounter.

After Saturday’s game, Ashford will be playing the delayed Middlesex Senior Cup match away to Hanworth Villa next Tuesday evening, kick-off 7.30 p.m. whilst the Surrey Senior Cup game at home to Horley Town will be on the following Tuesday.

A word for the Under-18’s now finally stabilising under the control of Joe Monks. A host of new players have been signed over the last three weeks and the lads were unlucky to go down to Tooting & Mitcham on Monday evening, drawing the match in the League Cup, two apiece but losing 3-4 on penalties. A big difference though from the 0-16 and 0-14 defeats in the opening two games of the campaign! The next game is on Monday 22 October, at home to Wealdstone U18, kick-off 7.45 p.m.

Categories: Latest News