Ashford Town (Middlesex)


Boreham Wood


Boreham Wood FC

Ryman League Premier Division,
Short Lane Stadium
25th August 2009

Ashford certainly had enough chances to kill off Boreham Wood but lacked a cutting edge in front of goal. Paul Johnson crashed a ferocious drive against the ‘Wood’ bar in the 4th minute and that was about as good as it got as the home side spurned chance after chance to grab all three points.

Lee Allinson blazed a shot just over Craig Ross’ bar but the game soon deteriorated into a scrappy affair that lacked direction and inspiration as too many passes went astray and with no one seemingly able to put their foot on the ball and take control.

Another chance went begging for the hosts as the ball bounced around in the visitor’s penalty box, finally breaking to Scott Harris who will be disappointed with his effort which he skied over Tony Tucker’s bar. Ashford continued to apply pressure and, following a crisp one – two with Byron Harrison (pictured), Ricardo Joseph crossed low into the penalty area where shots from Scott and Warren Harris failed to penetrate the ‘Wood’ defence and were hastily cleared.

Byron Harrison in action against KingstonianReferee Mr Maynard had a very poor game allowing too many late tackles and shirt pulls to go unpunished leaving supporters wondering if he was actually watching the game, and it was from one of these ‘non-decisions’ that the visitors took the lead. A blatant hand-ball by Sosthene Yao was missed by the referee allowing the ‘Wood’ striker to find one of his team mates on the right who picked out Dean Green with his cross and he made no mistake from close range.

Tucker came to the rescue at the start of the second half, saving at the feet of Harrison then his opposite number, Craig Ross, did very well making crucial saves from Joe Reynolds and Green in quick succession.

Ashford should have equalised soon after when Johnson set up a good chance for Vinnie O’Sullivan but the full back blasted the ball high over Tucker’s bar and the home side’s profligacy in front of goal continued as ‘Wood’ successfully defended two goal-mouth scrambles before a dangerous break and cross from Mario Noto was cleared away by Russ Canderton.

The home team went close again in the 69th minute when Warren Harris swung in a free kick which was cleared as far as the waiting Johnson who promptly sent a teasing cross to the far post that Warren Harris just failed to reach.

Both sides made changes in the 72nd minute but the visitors doubled their lead before any of the substitutes could make their mark. Yao drifted in from the left and looked to be in a reasonably innocuous position but with one movement he beat his marker and rammed the ball past Ross from a tight angle for his team’s second of the match.

Ashford pushed on looking to get back into the game and it took a fine save from Tucker to keep out Warren Harris’ late header, but Boreham Wood held on to claim all three points.